will my 290 run with my 700w power supply and fx 6300

Matt10

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
Im wondering if my msi 290 will run well with my amd fx 6300 and i also have a thermaltake tr2 700w psu. As of right now id dont mond taking a 10% hit if thats what im looking at

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Tier 5 - Other than the units listed above for any of these brands, NOT RECOMMENDED. Replace ASAP if you have one.

A-TOP Technology
Apevia
APEX (SUPERCASE/ALLIED)
Aspire(Turbo Case)
ATADC
Athena Power
ATRIX
Broadway Com Corp
Coolmax
Deer
Diablotek
Dynapower USA
Dynex
EagleTech
FOXCONN
FSP Everest
HEC Orion
Hiper Type-R
Huntkey
I-Star Computer Co. Ltd
In Win
JPAC COMPUTER
Just PC
Kingwin Inc.
Linkworld Electronics
Logisys Computer
MGE
MSI
NMEDIAPC
Norwood Micro/ CompUSA
NorthQ
NZXT
Okia
Powmax
Q-Tec
Raidmax
Rocketfish
Rosewill
SFC
Shuttle
Skyhawk
Spire Coolers
Star Micro
STARTECH
Thermaltake Purepower NP
Thermaltake Purepower RU
Thermaltake TR2 (and TR2-RX) :bounce:
TOPOWER TOP
Ultra X-Connect
Ultra X2 >greater than 700 watt
Ultra LSP
Wintech
XION
YoungYear
Zebronics

That list needs updating since that was true about the old TR2 http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-TR2-700-W-Power-Supply-Review/1422

Alright, lists aside, 82% efficiency at 700 watts full load, this thing is not a heap of junk like the tr2 430 500 or 600W models.

Check out the review, it's pretty technical, breaking down the components inside the psu. I found it and read it before I purchased mine. No complaints so far except for when it spins up during the boot sequence. When I heard it spin up for the first time I almost lost my head but it quiets down after 10 seconds. I wouldn't hesitate to use it or recommend it for any setup with any single high end gpu. Mind you I only run a xeon 1230v2 and a 670 PE.