Fx-8320 AsRock 970 Extreme 3 overclock questions

theeverydaydude

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
So my question is this, I've heard people say it's bad to overclock with this motherboard, but the CPU I'm using is the FX-8320, which through research I came to find is an underclocked FX-8350, and I'm guessing its also compatible with this mobo. So if all I'm doing is bringing it to 8350 levels, am I really stressing the mobo? Or doing something that could break it? Maybe I'm not understanding what it means to overclock, but I would think bringing it to the level of another CPU that works fine on it wouldn't be an issue. So far I've upped it from 3.5 to 3.8 without any problems, but I'm scared to go higher. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
I assumed it was setting the max turbo speed hence the clock being 200mhz lower.
So the problem lies elsewhere

All am3 boards & fx chips run on a fsb of 200mhz.
The stock cpu multiplier on the 8320 is 17.5mhz
17.5x200 (fsb x multiplier) = 3500mhz which is the stock speed of the chip.
SO
setting a multiplier of 20 should give you a straight 4ghz (or 3.98ghz if you nitpick) clock.

That's assuming you're just setting the multiplier to up the speed rather than anything else (I'm unfamiliar with the bios on that board ) ,don't usevany fancy over clock Pre settings that may be built in - just up the multiplier.

Best app for checking clock speeds/loads & CPU/vrm temps (vrm temps are listed as motherboard in the app)...
You should get 4.1/4.2 GHz pretty easily on stock voltage with a decent cooler.that's only going to push your vrm temps up 5c or so in my experience so should be safe.

If your on the stock amd cooler I honestly wouldn't go any higher though - it'll be hitting high 60s under stress testing on the stock one which is about the limit.

theeverydaydude

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
That's good to hear. My goal is to bring it to 4.0Ghz, or as close to that as possible. Playing with it last night I put it at a setting of 4100+ Mhz, and when I checked my "PC Specs", it showed my CPU was at 3.9 Ghz on this setting (at a setting of 4080 Mhz I'm getting 3.8). I'm happy keeping it there (3.9), just want to make sure it's safe, and it sounds like it will be according to what you're telling me. Should I go a little higher ya think?...to go ahead and bring it to 4.0?

Sound like you still have turbocore enabled in bios - over clocking is setting the max turbo speed rather than the general speed.
Disable turbocore ( should be under advanced settings somewhere ) then whatever speed you set should be correct once booted into windows.
What cooler are you using ? As stated I would not trust the amd cooler past stock speeds personally.

I would probably stick to a max of 4ghz on that board ( it has no vrm cooling) & keep an eye on vrm temps while stress testing - mid 40c's is fine - high 40s-50 is pushing it.

theeverydaydude

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
I'm using the Hyper 212 Cooler on my CPU, which I've heard is EXCELLENT at keeping CPUs at manageable levels. I already disabled the Turbocore, that was one of the steps in a tutorial I watched on YouTube using the same mobo and CPU, so now it says in the top right corner "TurboBoost OFF" when it's booting up in the beginning (before the Windows loading screen).

Now I'm curious as to why setting it at 4100Mhz is only bringing it to 3.9Ghz? Is that why you think I have the TurboCore still on? Sorry, I'm still learning, so it's a bit confusing for me. I REALLY appreciate your answers by the way.

I assumed it was setting the max turbo speed hence the clock being 200mhz lower.
So the problem lies elsewhere

All am3 boards & fx chips run on a fsb of 200mhz.
The stock cpu multiplier on the 8320 is 17.5mhz
17.5x200 (fsb x multiplier) = 3500mhz which is the stock speed of the chip.
SO
setting a multiplier of 20 should give you a straight 4ghz (or 3.98ghz if you nitpick) clock.

That's assuming you're just setting the multiplier to up the speed rather than anything else (I'm unfamiliar with the bios on that board ) ,don't usevany fancy over clock Pre settings that may be built in - just up the multiplier.

Best app for checking clock speeds/loads & CPU/vrm temps (vrm temps are listed as motherboard in the app)

WWW.hwinfo.com/download.php

& yes the 212 is a superb cooler ,at 4ghz you should see a max of 60c when stress testing, its your vrm temps that will hold you back but 4ghz should be entirely safe IMO.

Solution

theeverydaydude

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014

I was using the AsRock 970 BIOS software (accessed by hitting F11 as the computer is starting up) to do the overclocking. It's set up in a way that has you selecting from a range of different multipliers that tells you what the increase in Mhz will be.

I went by this guys instructional video on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1u1PCWxeOQ

theeverydaydude

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
So I downloaded the AMD Overdrive software that will give me info about my CPU temp etc., and I ran the test that runs all the cores at 100%. After 20 minutes, it was showing a temp of 33C, that's REALLY good right?...and the mobo seemed fine also. When I ran that test, my CPU was only overclocked to 3.8, I'm going to get it to 3.9, run tests, and leave it at that if I get no errors. Thanks for all your help.