which should i get an i3-4150 or fx 6300 for gaming on newer games and skyrim and such

Solution
Not really, I just meant that in the FM2+ motherboard/CPU vs AM3+ motherboard/CPU the Athlon could win by cost/benefit and have better features in the board. And while the FX 6300 will excel in multi-threaded games the Athlon 860K has better IPC - it has less cores but each of them is sightly more powerful than the AM3+ FX series - so it could be at comparable performance for games that use up to 4 cores or even beat the FX in single-threaded performance dependent games and apps (like Dolphin)... On the other hand the FX has L3 cache and a bit more of L2 cache and it's not clear to me what kind of games like this spec. So it all depends on...

Rafael Luik

Reputable
Sep 18, 2014
I don't know about where you live but AM3+ motherboards feature set vs price is not worth it here where I live.
You also won't have any new processors to upgrade to in the future (8300 is practically tied with 6300 except in even more threaded games from what I see). AM3+ is dead.

I'd either go with FM2+ (Athlon 860K or 760K at minimum, since no FX processors are available for it, and it probably won't receive new CPUs past Excavator which we don't know how much of an improvement they'll provide) or LGA1150 (sure upgradeability to i5s and i7s and with the newest chipsets even to Broadwell).

Rafael Luik

Reputable
Sep 18, 2014
Not really, I just meant that in the FM2+ motherboard/CPU vs AM3+ motherboard/CPU the Athlon could win by cost/benefit and have better features in the board. And while the FX 6300 will excel in multi-threaded games the Athlon 860K has better IPC - it has less cores but each of them is sightly more powerful than the AM3+ FX series - so it could be at comparable performance for games that use up to 4 cores or even beat the FX in single-threaded performance dependent games and apps (like Dolphin)... On the other hand the FX has L3 cache and a bit more of L2 cache and it's not clear to me what kind of games like this spec. So it all depends on how an specific game works. It looks like an evaluation of trade-offs between these two.
PS. 860K is the latest and greatest for FM2+ in performance and efficiency I wouldn't take the 760K. Carrizo/Excavator may bring additional CPU performance in the future but we can't predict that, it's bad that AMD remains silent about it.

AMD is a tough option today as only an Intel will give you guaranteed upgradeability (e.g. getting an i5 or i7 in the future if you care about that).

Solution