£400 - £500 Upgrade (CPU + GPU)

Hussain Ali

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
Approximate Purchase Date: Within next two weeks

Budget Range: £400 - £500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (Mostly) and watching movies

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: CPU, GPU, Motherboard (may need to for the CPU upgrade) and possibly PSU in case higher wattage needed. Current Parts listed right at the bottom :)

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: dabs, ebuyer, overclockers and Amazon. Other websites are welcome except from newegg because of the shipping prices to the UK.

Parts Preferences: I would like an AMD FX 8 Core CPU. GPU can be any - AMD/Nvidia

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Please could you list all parts through 'pcpartpicker' for convenience.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Preparing system for upcoming games such as Assassin's Creed Unity, Grand Theft Auto V, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare and any other demanding games coming soon.

Current Specifications:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/NnP2zy

Sorry if any other needed information is missing.

Solution
I'm assuming you'll want to overclock the processor, if not get a cheaper CPU cooler like the Hyper TX3 evo.

Not sure why you want an AMD processor. For enthusiast gaming they don't represent a smart choice in my opinion, they're hot, slow per thread and the chipsets they run on are practically ancient. With the budget you have you could get an i5 instead, just a suggestion.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-8320E 3.2GHz 8-Core Processor (£101.94 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£23.86 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£62.99 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card:...

plywrlw

Admirable
I'm assuming you'll want to overclock the processor, if not get a cheaper CPU cooler like the Hyper TX3 evo.

Not sure why you want an AMD processor. For enthusiast gaming they don't represent a smart choice in my opinion, they're hot, slow per thread and the chipsets they run on are practically ancient. With the budget you have you could get an i5 instead, just a suggestion.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-8320E 3.2GHz 8-Core Processor (£101.94 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£23.86 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£62.99 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX Video Card (£258.08 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£60.16 @ More Computers)
Total: £507.03
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-30 12:55 GMT+0000

Solution

Hussain Ali

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013

Probably shouldn't say this but AMD & Intel CPU's don't have much of a difference in performance and intel CPU's just add on the extra money (in my opinion). But you're the expert; so do you think an intel CPU would benefit me more and which model do you recommend if so?

plywrlw

Admirable
Intel CPU's do cost more I agree but the difference in performance is real. Hopefully when AMD finally get around to releasing a replacement to the current FX line the situation will improve. Like I said earlier too, the motherboards for the AMD chips haven't kept up with the times and any new features like USB 3.0 have to be provided by 3rd party controllers.

Still, at your budget the FX8320E might still be a good choice depending on your answer to this question!

Do you want to overclock or will you just run your processor at stock speeds?

Hussain Ali

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013

Overclock

plywrlw

Admirable
Then stick with the FX8320, you'd have to drop the GTX 970 to a lesser card to get an i5 4790K and if you give the FX8320 a good overclock it can make up a lot of the ground between it and an i5.

It's almost £80 more to keep the GTX 970 and get an overclockable i5

A GTX 970 and an i5 definitely puts out solid and sexy performance though.