970 Overclocking, need help.

Slipperss

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I would like to overclock my Gigabyte G1 970 a little bit, just to see how much more (if any) I can get out of it, without touching the voltages though.

I don't know how to start with this, I don't got much experience with overclocking graphics cards, only CPUs.

What is this "Boost clock" that this graphic card got? How does it work? Can i turn it on or off?

Can I somehow damage my card by just changing the memory and core clock (and leaving voltage on default)?

Maximum safe voltage for the Gigabyte G1 970?

What is TDP? Is higher better? Is 98-100% good?

How do I know the Power Limit of the Gigabyte G1 970? How does this work? Does raising it raise temperatures?

What temperature is max for my card?

Solution
G
You couldn't damage your card if you tried these days.

GPU Overclocking is a wee bit simpler than CPU overclocking, for starters, there's none of that faffing about in the BIOS.

Start by downloading some overclocking software. There are a few on the market, but the general favourites are MSI Afterburner and ASUS GPUTweak (Generally in that order too). Personally I prefer MSI Afterburner purely because it has an option to apply settings at startup.

Next, download a couple of stability testing programs, I'll list a few:

Unigine Heaven & Valley:
These are very good benchmarks designed to give you some indication of how well your card is performing. At the end of the 2-4 minute run it will give you a score and an...
G

You couldn't damage your card if you tried these days.

GPU Overclocking is a wee bit simpler than CPU overclocking, for starters, there's none of that faffing about in the BIOS.

Start by downloading some overclocking software. There are a few on the market, but the general favourites are MSI Afterburner and ASUS GPUTweak (Generally in that order too). Personally I prefer MSI Afterburner purely because it has an option to apply settings at startup.

Next, download a couple of stability testing programs, I'll list a few:

Unigine Heaven & Valley:
These are very good benchmarks designed to give you some indication of how well your card is performing. At the end of the 2-4 minute run it will give you a score and an average framerate. They both run through 3D worlds created by Unigine and feature a lot of advanced effects in order to really heat things up.
Heaven is slightly older than Valley, but it's also slightly more demanding. Valley is slightly shorter in its run.

3DMark 11:
Try not to confuse this with just the standard 3DMark software, I'll get on to that in a moment. 3DMark 11 has a few tests including one designed to test the physics of the CPU. Again, like most benchmarks, it will give you a score at the end for you to compare - Albeit this one is web-based.

3DMark:
This is a host of various benchmarks, you don't need to run all of them. Generally FireStrike is considered the popular one and it is VERY demanding. Next to Furmark it's perhaps the most demanding GPU bench out there. This too will have a section for CPU physics testing.

Furmark:
The least reliable but certainly one of the most demanding. Furmark is the be all and end all of stability testing - It is purely designed to stress the willies out of your GPU. It cares not for power limits, skipping right over them. Infact I seem to recall reading that both AMD and Nvidia have implemented means of auto-throttling after detecting the running of the Furmark executable. Don't use this program to get a score at the end of it, use it to test that things don't crash immediately - It only lasts one minute if you go for the benchmark option.

You will also need some monitoring software to make sure everything's running as it should be. Afterburner and GPUTweak have quite a lot built in, which is fortunate. But I would also recommend downloading GPU-Z. This will allow you to see real-life non-boost frequencies.

Righty then, overclocking is really quite simple. Start by going up in increments of 20-50Hz on the Engine/Core clock. Keep GPU-Z open beside it so you can see what it results at after hitting 'Apply'. For the moment only work on the core, the memory can wait.
Now here's the tricky bit. GPUTweak lists the eventual boost frequency, so you can up that by quite a bit more: Ie, if the stock says 1203MHz, a clock of 1400-1500 is very achievable. However, Afterburner goes off the actual non-boost clock, so the increments are a lot smaller. As I said, watch GPU-Z for the final clock.

Boost clock and core clock are relative. In theory GPU Boost 2.0 will go up to where it needs to go based on cooling/power allowances. But in reality that isn't such the case. Generally the resulting boost clock will be about 150-200MHz higher than the core clock. For example in my case, a core setting of 1295MHz results in 1447 with boost.
These 970's clock well, especially the memory. The Gigabyte version is perhaps the best. You don't need to worry about temps with these cards, only artifacting. The most I see people get out of them on average is 1.5GHz after boost and 8GHz effective on the memory (I'll come to that in a moment) but you're welcome to play it safe and shoot a little lower.

TDP refers to how many watts the card can draw. 110% or 120% being 10 or 20% more respectively. I would recommend setting this to 110%. The card needs to sip a little more for the OC. These Maxwell chips consume so little that you're not really going to be straining your supply too much to do this.

Memory overclocking works in a similar fashion, it doesn't effect FPS quite as much, but it does help. Fortunately the Samsung memory chips on these cards are just a dream for overclocking.
The kicker here is that effective rates and actual rates differ. In short, multiply the frequency listed in GPU-Z under memory by however many GB's of RAM your card has. In this instance that'll be 4. To offer an example again, I have mine set at 1950MHz, which gives an effective rate of 7800MHz. As I said above, some people have managed to get them up to 8GHz (8000MHz) though I'm not quite brave enough to go that far.

Don't forget not all cards will reach the same. But I'm fairly adamant every 970 could probably reach between 1400-1500 boost on the core - and 7600-8000 on the memory (Effective). Because of this I would recommend bumping your memory straight up to 7600 to save time. Run a bench or two, then bump it up some more in increments of 50 or 100MHz. The memory doesn't have any kind of boost feature to worry about, just that effective offset.

As for voltage - Don't worry about it. Nvidia sets a voltage limit off the manufacturing line depending on how well the chip is binned. In short, this means that they're very conservative. Only on the top-tier cards and aftermarket variants can you sometimes find voltage points on the card itself to bypass such limitations. Basically what this means is that you can notch it up as high as it will go in Afterburner/GPUTweak and the moment you hit 'Apply' it will drop back down to whatever the limit is. Perfectly safe for the card.

Things to watch for:

GPU overclocking is quite straight forward. You overclock as high as you can before noticing any anomalies on your screen. This means either Artifacting (Colour glitches) or worst case scenario - screen going black/machine restarting. You may also reach a driver crash or something if it's too high. Most of the time artifacting is the one to look out for, the rest are quite obvious.
If you're conservative with your OC as I am, you probably won't run in to any of these.

Hope this helps, and have fun out there!
Post any scores from the benches if you feel like it.

Solution

Slipperss

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010

Absolutely beautiful post, really appreciate it!

I still got a few questions though.

The Power Limit:
Does raising it raise temperatures? Is it safe? Is this any different than raising the Core Voltage?

What is the highest safe temps?

I thought TDP was something about dissipating heat? Little confused on this one.

Those clocks you speak of in your post, is that with a custom Core Volt or default?

G

The power limit allows the card to suck a bit more from your power supply. I believe the 970 only consumes about 145w, so 10 or 20% of that added additionally isn't going to be much. It's perfectly safe.

Heat is a result of wasted energy, in theory this encompasses both voltage and power limit; more voltage creates more stability since the card won't be starved of power. The harder a card is working, the more power it will consume, so raising the power limit will allow it to ask for a bit more. They both go hand in hand really. Bear in mind that most of the time the thing you're setting in these programs is max voltage rather than constant - although don't quote me on that.

It really depends on your card's binning process, they all have different voltages out of the factory, but Nvidia's set limit is quite close to that so there's not much worry of going overboard. I say leave it on 110%, 120% if you want to be absolutely certain. Again this just tells the card how much it can take, not how much it will take. I've only ever seen mine use a max of 108% under FireStrike.
Note that Furmark will always trip over the line, deliberately.

(Oh and TDP = Thermal Design Power. Essentially how many watts something consumes).

Safe temps are about 80-90c. Though these cards will never come close - Especially the Gigabyte version. The highest I've ever seen mine go is 72c, and that was in a hot room running FireStrike. Most of the time it's around 69-70c. Overclocking only added about 2-4 degrees.

My clocks were with the max limit of voltage, I like to play it safe. As I said, just prop the thing up and hit 'Apply', the limit is very conservative.

Slipperss

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010

My card is limited to 112% Power Limit, after I set it to that, I started with the core clock and ended at +150 mhz, which has been stable for a little while, I tried +179 but think it crashed my driver, so I went back to +150.

Fiddling with the memory clock at the moment,

just came by to ask if my temps were normal in Furmark 1920x1080, my core clock goes to 1.2060v or so and my temps up to 80c

G

That engine clock is quite high, what's the resulting boost frequency? Has to be over 1500 surely. (Actually, better question would be what it started out as? Each vendor does things differently).
Still, if it's stable then you should have no issues.

Those temps don't sound like an issue at all.

Slipperss

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010

Well, it's actually only 1455 mhz core clock. Think it was 1329 stock.
I've got a question, probably a stupid one, but.. I've come to find +600 mhz memory clock stable, leaving it at 2053 mhz.

The question is, when I raise my memory clock it lowers my core clock when stress testing, why is this?

I raised my memory clock by 100, and then after a little while of stress testing, it lowered my core clock from 1480 to 1455

Here is my Fire Strike test if you want:

Before OC:
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/4615131?
After OC:
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/4617033?

G

Ah I got muddled up for a second there.

If I were to guess I would say it was throttling. Albeit in a very minimal fashion. It's quite a high clock on the memory to match an equally high engine clock. Though it is peculiar since your card seems to be able to take it.
I would drop that memory frequency back a little bit, bring it down to 2000MHz in GPU-Z if you're shooting for the 8GHz effective range.
It doesn't sound like much of a problem. Boost frequencies can fluctuate, but 8GHz on the memory seems to be about as high as I see anyone go, you are/were a bit over that. Plus it greatly depends on how lucky someone gets with their card to go to that level, quite a few can, but equally as many can't.

Core clock is fine though.

Slipperss

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010

Not sure what to do. After lowering the memory clock to +400 and having +160 core clock, it still goes down to 1455 mhz core. A little weird. the +600 gives a nice boost in fps. At least in Furmark.

Should I unlock the Core Voltage? Would adding more voltage to the Core be safe? Temperature?

G

If you haven't touched the voltage yet then I would definitely recommend it. Locked or unlocked it would still adhere to Nvidia's limit. That limit is really quite close to what it's already at so I wouldn't worry too much.

I would say stay in the range of 7800-8000MHz memory (effective) and 1400-1500 core (boost) and you should be golden.

G

Where is the setting for that? I couldn't find it but I'd like to, aside from random crashes I preferred GPUTweak to Afterburner.

Yeah. It's under: settings > tune tab > tune settings.

Slipperss

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010

Shouldn't I go for more if It is stable though?

Does having 112% Power Limit + +87mv Core Clock Voltage, pose any risks to my card, or is it just the temps I need to watch out for?

G

Just temps. Like I say that limit is very conservative on the voltage.
You can use Afterburner or GPUTweak to see how much power it's drawing relative to the power limit. It's unlikely anything but Furmark will get it close to 112%.

Temps are usually the thing to watch out for, but on these cards they really just don't heat up at all. Especially on that Windforce cooler from Gigabyte.

If it's stable, go for it. If anything ever happens (if) you can always lower things a bit. Actually damaging a GPU these days is pretty darn difficult with all the locks and limits in place.

How bizarre. Never saw that.
Guess I'll stick with Afterburner for the time being. I am rather bone idol.

Slipperss

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010

Thank you so much for your help and your time, I just finished 1 hour furmark at 1480 core and 2029 memory, without artifacts or crashes, so for now I'll label it as stable, I found out why it is "throttling" the Core Clock, and it happens when it hits 69-70c, it drops from 1480 to 1455, drops further down to 1442 at 79-80c, and it also automatically lowers itself if i lower the power limit or the core voltage, or even the memory clock.