Graphics card upgrade fo eMachine T5212

Roy Utley

Reputable
Nov 7, 2014
I have a emachine t5212 I want to upgrade the graphics card. specs as follows:
Pent D 805, 2 gb ram, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 with avail PCI-E Slot

will this work? without issues? VisionTek ATI Radeon HD 2600XT (900197) 256 MB GDDR3 SDRAM PCI Express x16...

Solution
yes the T5212 accepts aftermarket cards. Roys main concern would be not to get one too powerful that would be bottlenecked by the CPU. He can probably go up to an HD4670. Thats about where my old pentD system hit the wall at.
some models of store bought computers [dell.hp,acer,ect..] may come with a ''locked or fixed'' bios and may not allow you to change certain hardware as a video card.. this is done to protect them from undue warranty claims and refunds .this is not done to hurt you but to protect them. you really need to see if that upgrade has been proven to work in your model first before you invest money in it .. there are a lot of these threads here at toms to look at some models will allow upgrades and some dont.. and a lot of guys here say ya ya ya when is really no no no...it would be sad you spent $200 on a card that wount post after you installed it as most find out. then get told its your psu and you spend more and end up right back where you are now, but its up to you good luck..

you got to know the the boards in these computers are not like the ones we use to do custom builds witch are open to upgrading with in the boards compatibly . the bios is custom made for there design and just for the parts they authorize to be used on there computers there only guaranteed to work as is out of the box as you bought it ,..

popatim

Titan
yes the T5212 accepts aftermarket cards. Roys main concern would be not to get one too powerful that would be bottlenecked by the CPU. He can probably go up to an HD4670. Thats about where my old pentD system hit the wall at.

Solution
all you can do is stick it in and see is a older card and is should not stress the board I wouold feel that card is safe [ATI Radeon HD 2600XT ] give it a try

bottle neck is not a issue it most prebuilts cant supply the full 75w power to the pci-e slot and can be limited to say 50w or what ever the manufacture wants it to be this is why guys with prebuilts cant get most new higher end cards to work cause they need the full 75w that required this can change from model to model

good luck