100% Disk Usage Even In Idle

Jadester

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014
Not quite sure if this request belongs in this part of the forum, but here we go:

For the past month now my Disk has been (seemingly) randomly spiking to 100% Disk usage, making even surfing the internet pure torture.

Most of the time, it doesn't make any sense either.
k04SUHF.png

Nothing will be toruturing the disk, yet It sticks at 100% and hangs everything.

Other times, it still won't make sense, but "System" seems to be eating something:
ZLb3Be9.png

Please help me fix this problem, it makes using this otherwise nice PC a horror story.

<edited by moderator. Please keep in mind that this is a family friendly forum>

Slavegamer

Distinguished
May 5, 2014
Read this
http://www.stigviewer.com/stig/microsoft_office_system_2013/2013-12-11/finding/V-40887

It looks like office Telemetry is a monitoring your hard drive , not sure what you use this for . If it is used for work then I would consider dedicating a computer for that function apart from your personal machine. This looks normal for office telemetry . If not then I would suspect a virus, but after reading about office telemetry I am sure its that program

Please select best answer if this helps

popatim

Titan
I can't see the pics but several things could be processing in the background: AV scan, superfetch, drive indexing... or the drive could be having problems and SMART is attempting data recovery on pending sectors. At least checkout the SMART using any of the many free utilities and if you see failed, bad, uncorrectible sectors then the problem is likely to be your drive. Post up your SMARt values so we can have a look.

Jadester

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014
Hey popatim, thanks for the reply.

I went into command prompt and entered
"wmic"
then
"diskdrive get status".

I was told this way a way to check your S.M.A.R.T. status, and when I did it simply responded with "Status OK"

Does this mean anything to you?

Jadester

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014
Also, to respond to Slavegamer, I don't know what "Office Telemetry" is.
This problem happened over 1 night when I just left my PC on, so not much could have changed.

Also, wouldn't I be able to see in task manager if Telemetry was using the disk? I've never seen it use anything noticable.

If it is the problem though, how would I disable/uninstall it?