$400 Budget Gaming PC

ptrsnprz

Reputable
Nov 16, 2014
What I want to do, is have a RIG for Gaming (Mostly for Gaming) and some slight Schoolworks and Stuff ex. Video Editing, Coding and etc.

So here's the deal, I planning to buy an AMD Processor probably ( AMD FX-Vishera 6xxx or 4xxx depending if it will fit my budget) or I'll go with AMD APU Processor and X-Fire it with my stock PowerColor Radeon HD 6570 2GB DDR3) and I'll be needing a Good Decent Board.

Btw, I'm not planning to Overclock, I just want the best performance and graphics that I can get with this budget ( I know it's a little but for a starter pack I think it's enough then after few months i'll start to upgrade some parts)

The thing is I can't really decide what to chose :

AMD FX-6300 or 4300 + GA-970A-DS3P or ASUS MA97 R2

or Go with X-Fire
A8-6600K + Cheap Board then X-Fire it with my Radeon HD 6570

So any suggestions on what will I do? I'm really confused what to get, I mean I know the basics but don't know which is the best in these two.

Btw, Im from Philippines so. Prices on these items maybe low or high in here.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
I realize you can't purchase from these vendors and that hardware is much more expensive where you are. I've worked on builds with many folks in the Philippines, but this is one decent option if you can use your GPU for now and add a better one later. Or find one now that you can afford depending on what you can get these parts for.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($89.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus A78M-A Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($56.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Red 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal...
I realize you can't purchase from these vendors and that hardware is much more expensive where you are. I've worked on builds with many folks in the Philippines, but this is one decent option if you can use your GPU for now and add a better one later. Or find one now that you can afford depending on what you can get these parts for.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($89.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus A78M-A Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($56.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Red 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.67 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX Power Supply ($23.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $294.12
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-16 01:43 EST-0500

Solution
I didn't pay attention to the card you had as much as I should have. That's a very low end card, on par with the GT 240 or 440. To play those games, you need a really decent GPU and for 400 bucks, it's probably not gonna happen. I'll do the best I can though. Like I said, I know the hardware is more expensive and often not even available, where you are. Do you have an online vendor there you trust to purchase from or like most the folks I've helped in the Philippines, do you have to buy from local shops?

ptrsnprz

Reputable
Nov 16, 2014
Yes. I have to buy from local shops. Sadly. Stocks are limited. If i were to upgrade ( of course ) what gpu should I consider to get? R9 260X? I'm not really sure. :/

But I think I'll go for that Athlon X4 860K :D

Keep in mind that CPU does not have integrated graphics like it's equivalent A10 series APUs. I don't recommend dual graphics using the APU and a card, where it even works, anyhow. There is generally always some kind of trouble that accompanies it like unresolvable stuttering, lag, freezes or other crap. Just having one good card big enough to do what you want is always the better solution. Even above crossfiring or sli configurations.

I'd much rather have a single R9 290x than two R9 280s for example. Simply due to the frequency of issues with dual cards.

For what you want to do, at medium settings, I'd recommend something between an R9 270x - R9 280, or, between a GTX 760 or 770. Anything less and you'll probably end up having to drop some additional quality settings down to stay at medium. If you're ok with that, or your budget won't allow it, you can probably get by with a 260x or 750 TI, but I wouldn't expect it to game very well on Tomb raider or BF. Maybe on older versions, it's hard to say. Depends a lot on the monitor and resolution as well. Obviously at 768 any given card is going to be able to game better and at higher settings than at 1080 or higher.