Jun 26, 2014
I have,

GPU=Nvidia GTX660 2GB
MOBO=Intel DH61ww LGA socket 1155
RAM=4GB (upgrading it to 12GB)
PSU=600watts
current cpu=i3 2100 :heink:
my current CPU is bottlenecking, obviously :na:

Now i want to decide which CPU to choose from, i5 3570 or i7 3770??
Which one is better and mostly "cost effective" considering FUTURE GAMING also?

I am also considering "CPU intensive" games (Future games, minimum until 3-4 years) . So considering that help me choose one!!!

Assassin's creed Unity, Shadow of Mordor, COD Advanced Warfare, Division, Get Even,etc.

At my country [Slovakia] Core i5-3570 cost 160 euro, 3570K cost 177 euro and 3770 cost 230 euro, and 3770k cost 258 euro. For me the price difference from 70 - 100 euro isn't that huge, when I'm buying something for 3-4 years, but if it's a lot for You, stick with 3570K [K is important, for overclocking].

And as I see Your chipset and motherboard, stick with non-K You won't be overclocking on that mobo anytime soon. So 3570. Though K packs more punch from the factory line, not sure if it's worth it for You.

quandao93

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010

Great catch!

Seeing your motherboard isn't capable of overclocking any K cpu isn't necessary. The GTX 660 is a nice gpu, however it is a 2-3(?) year old gpu and is getting outdated. I don't think the i3 is bottlenecking it, you have a weak cpu and a weak gpu. I would recommend going with an i5 and a better gpu.

Chintan Dave

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014

I have LGA socket 1155 mobo..... and i5 3570 and i7 3770 also have same socket!!
So i don't think there will be any issues. What do yo say?

quandao93

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010

oh shoot, yea you're right. I forgot... LOL Im on haswell now. Yea Ivy bridge will work on any 1155 socket. the other dude was actually wrong... if you want to stay future proof go with 3770. Hyperthreading is useful for streaming and future games that will utilize it.

Chintan Dave

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014
I am not going to change the GPU any sooner.... so looking to that i just need to upgrade my CPU CONSIDERING FUTURE GPU( that doen't bottleneck with either selected CPU) AND GAME...... and my socket is LGA 1155.

quandao93

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010

I suggested 3770 :p

Chintan Dave

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014
and btw some of the now-a-days games need ( in recommended requirements) 6 cores!! And this will soon come in minimum requirements :p . So will i5 3750 coupe up with those 6 core requirements? or i should go with i7 3770? Will i7 3770 be a huge unnecessary upgrade?

Very few games actually use more than 2 cores, so getting more than 4 cores is not really future proofing. Future proofing imho is really impossible on computers since what is new now is old in 6 months. I don't think your cpu is bottlenecking your videocard, so upgrading your cpu will get you about the same framerates you have now, if there is a difference it will be very small. So any future games that might utilize that better cpu will get you a minimum difference in performance.

quandao93

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010

I disagree. Then again I play new games that comes out. Like AW, Far Cry 4, Metro, bf4, crysis, etc. i5 doesnt have hyperthreading, therefore it will be come a hassle when you actually need it. Say you want to stream but you cant bc I5 cpu sucks. Sure you can use Nvdia shadow play, but say you play new games that requires 50 to 100 percent of your gpu. You'll need hyperthreading to stream while you have some performance to play games. Another example is when you come home from vacation and you want to edit and render your vacation video. Surely everytime comes out every year but having a 3770k, youre not that far behind from my 4770k LOL. you wont bottle neck for a long time if you go with the 3770k m8.

Your situation obviously is very different from his. His cpu is not bottlenecking his gpu, his cpu/gpu combination just hit it's limit. Upgrading his cpu will not increase performance by more than a few %. Streaming and video editing surely will go faster, but he stated he wants to upgrade for gaming, and for that upgrading the cpu will not help much if any.

quandao93

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010

But what if he wants to have the performance to run newer games that actually uses hyperthreading? When I say bottleneck I meant gfx. He will be able to upgrade gfx and not bottleneck for a long time. I had the i5 2500k 3 years ago, and countless times, it had pissed me off and force me to upgrade to a 4770k lol. Im just saving him time and money.

Actually the i5 does have hyperthreading. But, what you are saying here is my point exactly, upgrading only the cpu will not help much if any without upgrading the videocard. Upgrading only the cpu will be a waste if not upgrading the videocard also.

quandao93

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
I5s does not have hyperthreading and let him upgrade a fast processor so he can upgrade gpu later... "Future proof." Ill just put my opinion out there, he will most likely feel confident in whatever he do: Rendering, gaming, streaming, ect. knowing that he will have a powerful processor and that it will run any game in the market within the "recommended" requirements for the next 3 to 4 years. He has two options... why not go for the better one.