Will an FX 8350 with less cores but more OC be better for gaming?

furkandeger

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
So for example, If I disable say 2 cores making it a six core CPU, will that give me a better OC potential and therefore a better single core performance? And will games benefit from this? I mean instead of having all eight cores at 4.5 ghz, will running only six of them at 5.0 ghz with the thermal headroom gained via disabling 2 cores help with the bottlenecking 8350 causes in specific games?

Solution
FX CPUs do not scale well in performance from overclocking, for some reason... overclocking from 4GHz to 5GHz results in maybe a 10% increase to performance in most applications.

THIS! I've been saying this for over a year now, and it usually seems to get ignored. It's because of their terrible IPC.

Anyway, from what I have learned, it's not very beneficial to disable a module on the FXs. If it was, the FX4300/4350 would average a much higher overclock than the FX6300/6350 which would in turn average a much higher overclock than the FX8320/8350 but in reality, the FX4350 only averages around 200mhz better than the FX8350.

This was not the case for the old Phenom ii x6s. My old 1055t topped out around 3.8ghz on all 6 cores...

Vic Rattlehead

Reputable
Nov 18, 2014
It will probably increase your OC potential slightly, but the performance difference in gains won't be very large. FX CPUs do not scale well in performance from overclocking, for some reason... overclocking from 4GHz to 5GHz results in maybe a 10% increase to performance in most applications. Moreover, one of the benefits to having more cores is that background applications don't get in the way of gaming applications as there's more room to spread around the tasks. I don't think you'd see any performance increase from disabling 2 cores for extra OC headroom.

Also, disabling 2 cores wouldn't be the difference between 4.5 and 5GHz unless you've got a really limited CPU cooler.

What I'd suggest giving a try is overclocking the northbridge rather than purely the highest clock speed possible. It improves the memory and cache performance somewhat which is one of the areas where FX CPUs struggle.

furkandeger

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012

Well for some reason I can't push northbridge so much. 2200 is default, 2400 is struggling to stay stable, 2600 is not stable and anything beyond that point doesn't even boot.

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
FX CPUs do not scale well in performance from overclocking, for some reason... overclocking from 4GHz to 5GHz results in maybe a 10% increase to performance in most applications.

THIS! I've been saying this for over a year now, and it usually seems to get ignored. It's because of their terrible IPC.

Anyway, from what I have learned, it's not very beneficial to disable a module on the FXs. If it was, the FX4300/4350 would average a much higher overclock than the FX6300/6350 which would in turn average a much higher overclock than the FX8320/8350 but in reality, the FX4350 only averages around 200mhz better than the FX8350.

This was not the case for the old Phenom ii x6s. My old 1055t topped out around 3.8ghz on all 6 cores, but would run up to around 4.3ghz with 2 cores disabled. This made for a much better gaming experience.

Solution