$1000 PC Build Lookover and Help?

xTempered

Reputable
May 2, 2014
So I plan on Building a pc for a cousin of mine for christmas. Heres what I'm planning on.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Nsgkzy

I have some questions though.

Is the ~100w enough headroom to overclock JUST the CPU on that PSU? (I know OC need nowhere near that much but dont like to push PSU near its max)

Also the GPU says it requires 2x8pin connectors. Does this PSU have that? Tried looking it up but couldnt find out.

TY for any help.

Solution
1) I'm talking about having such a low end CPU with a flagship-like GPU. That's bottleneck. And plus, it's no upgrade path for the AMD Athlons, since there's nothing more powerful.

2) I don't know why he needs an SSD. Those are expensive... And plus, you need the extra money wound up into better CPU or GPU.

3) Yes, this PSU is one of the best of the available market.
1) The CPU is godawful.
2) You don't need the SSD at a low budget.
3) The PSU is enough for everything. Just fits. So I guess no overclock...
4) I'm sure the PSU has it. It's XFX, and quality's good.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($77.27 @ TigerDirect)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.89 @ Directron)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 285 2GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($184.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VX228H 60Hz 21.5" Monitor ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm QuickFire TK Wired Gaming Keyboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $993.07
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-22 22:23 EST-0500

xTempered

Reputable
May 2, 2014

Is it really that bad? I've seen Geekbench and Passmark benchmarks of the 760k vs G3258 and its basically tied (obviously losing out in single core performance, & dont think it matter this will be an upgrade from a single core laptop from ages ago) & any bottlenecks with anything up to a R9 290 were eliminated with a good OC (I'm trying to put the absolute most into the GPU). Also he specifically asked for the SSD.

Sooooo basically I just need something like a 650w or 750w variant of the PSU.........?

1) I'm talking about having such a low end CPU with a flagship-like GPU. That's bottleneck. And plus, it's no upgrade path for the AMD Athlons, since there's nothing more powerful.

2) I don't know why he needs an SSD. Those are expensive... And plus, you need the extra money wound up into better CPU or GPU.

3) Yes, this PSU is one of the best of the available market.

Solution