10,000 RPM Hard Drive vs SSD for recording PC gameplay?

SlenKris

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014
Hello :)

I plan on building a new computer in the next few months and I am going to record gameplay on it, so I want to get a storage drive dedicated to just storing gameplay and audio files. However, I'm confused as to whether to get a 10,000 rpm hard drive or an ssd to record the gameplay to.

Because YouTube recently incorporated 60fps video playback, I want to record at 720p in 60 fps. I understand that the specs of my pc matter a lot when it comes to fps in games, but when recording, that fps usually drops. A friend of mine told me that a drive with fast write speeds usually fixes that problem because it can write data quick enough to not cause any lag.

So I don't know what to get, a 10k rpm hdd or an ssd. Which one would be faster in terms of write speeds?

Solution
the other consideration you need to have is that an SSD is significantly more expensive than a HDD, especially since you want to be recording a large filesize (720p 60fps). You won't be able to store that many videos on an SSD compared to a HDD.

Entomber

Admirable
the other consideration you need to have is that an SSD is significantly more expensive than a HDD, especially since you want to be recording a large filesize (720p 60fps). You won't be able to store that many videos on an SSD compared to a HDD.

Solution

TTD187

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014
It would probably make sense to buy a mid-sized SSD for recording the videos and then later on dumping them onto a large HDD solution (Possible 2+ 2TB hard drives in RAID).