$3000 build/upgrade. Advice needed

dkenz

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Just letting everyone know I used to build computers for me and friends/family in my younger years. Now with kids and such I'm not so much into it anymore. Pretty sure I have a solid build.. But need advice from the pros!

Current system:
Corei7 920 OC to 3.6 212 evo
OCZ 6gb tripple channel 1600
Samsung evo 256 (bought 3 months ago)
100gb WD 7200 rpm/ 500gb WD 7200 (100gb one is about 10yrs old)
GTX 275. Dont laugh.. I know its very old.
Cooler master 912 (Bought with SSD and Evo a few months ago)
Andtec 650w PSU.. Not sure what version it is.

I'd like to salvage as much from my old computer as possible.. The new build is completely new.. New everything. Loved my evo SSD so much I want storage drive just as fast. Will a noctura D14 fit in a 912? Going with dual GPU should I get something bigger? Guessing my 650w PSU isn't enough for the new build either. Anyway new build is this.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BLmVbv

That price is $3400. If I can keep my case.. CPU heatsink (d14 that much better than 212evo?). If I'll only get 1-200mhz more from D14 I'll keep the evo. Also i noticed just about all DDR4 ram is close to same.. 14cas and 2400.. 15 and 3000+? Also do I need the deluxe mobo? I plan on getting a dedicated sound card sooner or later. Anyway that's what I'd like... Thinking maybe skipping the hard drives. Since I have a 256evo and 600gb WDs. Also you think 980s would be better? Well I know they will be.. But on ROG swift? Is it overkill? Thought about surround 1080p instead of one ROG Swift... But I donno.. Lol. Not ready for 4k just yet as i still think its in its infantcy. Dont wanna buy the best to play at 4k cause even with sli 980s.. Won't be long before its not enough.

Any thoughts?

Edit: I'm sure people will ask what I'm using it for.. Mostly gaming! But would like the idea of other stuff.. Had a friend ask me to compile a quake 3 map for him one time.. Cause his POS computer took an hour.. Mine took 15 minutes with core i7. Plus I think future games will require more cores.

Solution
then it might not be a bad idea to just build a completely new build and keep the old for the kiddos. not sure about the cooler fitting you can look up the height of the cooler and match it to the L x W x H specs of the case, the manufactures usually list the max cooler it supports. D14 is much better than the evo.

dkenz

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
That's kinda what I was thinking.... Cause I have two kids that love using my computer. One is 5 the other is 2. Why I suggested a new build.. But at the same time I need a new one myself. You think my i7 920 isn't to outdated ? Most games today require at least 3.0 GHz with some demanding titles that require 3ghz with 4-6 cores. Will the D14 fit in my 912 with sli 970s or 980s and leave enough room for air? I will probably over clock the 5930k to at least 4ghz. What is avg over clock on air with that CPU? Is 4.5 doable? 212 evo or d14? 4.0 on evo vs 4.5 d14 would justify the new CPU cooler purchase

then it might not be a bad idea to just build a completely new build and keep the old for the kiddos. not sure about the cooler fitting you can look up the height of the cooler and match it to the L x W x H specs of the case, the manufactures usually list the max cooler it supports. D14 is much better than the evo.

Solution