2 $1000 Gaming Builds (Which is best?)

The_Ma5ter

Reputable
Sep 6, 2014
Solution
A question I have for you is will you be overclocking? That dictates a lot of subsequent choices. I'll assume you are here, as you have the "K" version of a 4690 cpu (perfect choice btw). I included an excellent cpu cooler that is very reasonably priced as well if you OC. I have some things to say to you about your builds. One is that you always want two sticks of ram, this allows ram to operate in dual-channel mode at its proper speed. One stick of 8gb is slower than two sticks of 4gb. Right now you are also better off with one GTX 970 than two of just about anything else, as the 970 is the perfect GPU, and a quantum leap better than everything except its big brother. Save some money and buy another 970 in about a year if anything...

jasonite

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012
A question I have for you is will you be overclocking? That dictates a lot of subsequent choices. I'll assume you are here, as you have the "K" version of a 4690 cpu (perfect choice btw). I included an excellent cpu cooler that is very reasonably priced as well if you OC. I have some things to say to you about your builds. One is that you always want two sticks of ram, this allows ram to operate in dual-channel mode at its proper speed. One stick of 8gb is slower than two sticks of 4gb. Right now you are also better off with one GTX 970 than two of just about anything else, as the 970 is the perfect GPU, and a quantum leap better than everything except its big brother. Save some money and buy another 970 in about a year if anything even comes out by then that the 970 can't run completely on ultra.

At your price point it's probably not cost-effective to get an SSD, as you want to put most of your budget toward a great GPU, and an SSD will only help with boot-up and load times. I got you a fast & reliable HDD, and later when you get money you can add a 250gb Samsung evo if you like, but proper prioritization to make the most out of your $1000 right now is the plan. Nothing is wrong with your mobos, but I personally don't recommend them because ASrocks tend to be flimsier than Asus or Gigabyte or MSI, so I changed that up just as an option for you.

I stuck with NZXT to respect your choice, but as an option you may want to consider the 410 or the Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus which I've included here. The PSU picked was way too much for your needs. You don't need 1000 or more unless you are triple or quad SLI'ing, which I almost never recommend. The one I chose is excellent and will give you all you need even if you SLI, as the 970 is incredibly energy efficient. If you have any q's or don't want to OC let me know! Hope this helps:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($348.99 @ Directron)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($82.85 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $976.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-27 19:33 EST-0500

Solution

The_Ma5ter

Reputable
Sep 6, 2014

Thank you for the advice! I found it very helpful and easy to follow as well. I have a feeling I'll use some of your parts. I will probably discuss with my friend your suggestions and pros and cons of trading the SSD for a stronger GPU. I also wonder, of the 2 builds I created, which in your opionion is greater for the purpose of gaming?