i7 920 overclock

earp111

Reputable
Nov 27, 2014
I've been trying to overclock my cpu for quite some time with no luck. Followed multiple guides to the dot and still running into problems. Every where I look says that 920's are great overclockers. Just posting to this to determine if the problem is my hardware or my complete lack of knowledge when it comes to a BIOS.

CPU: Intel Core 920
MOBO: EVGA 141-BL-E757

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Solution
earp111,

Is your i7 920 a "C0" or "D0" stepping revision? Use CPU-Z to check this. The "D0" is the better overclocker. Many samples typically reach 4.2 GHz.

Also, "Spread Spectrum" will seriously limit your overclock. Have you disabled it?

CT :sol:

earp111

Reputable
Nov 27, 2014
When I use the MOBO's "dummy OC", it will get the processor to 3.3ghz but I don't trust auto-clocking. When I try to overclock myself, when i start gettting into that mhz range either the computer will come on and show bios screen then sit at a black screen forever. Or, it will just be a straight black screen like windows is having trouble starting.

Besides the MOBO and cpu I'm running a Thermaltake TR2 TR-600 600W ATX12V and a GTX 660. Whats the best way of posting my specs? Dxdiag?

manez

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014
First things first, You need an aftermarket cooler, your stock cooler is not good enough. Do not even try overclocking with the stock one.

The dummy oc is not good enough either, you have to do it manually.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
earp111,

Is your i7 920 a "C0" or "D0" stepping revision? Use CPU-Z to check this. The "D0" is the better overclocker. Many samples typically reach 4.2 GHz.

Also, "Spread Spectrum" will seriously limit your overclock. Have you disabled it?

CT :sol:

Solution