1866 Ares Ram in an older Asus 1600 OC/1333 board

Slywolf15

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
I had bought this Ares 1866 RAM earlier on sale for another build I had planned though a friend of mine gave me some older components that included a Phenom II 955 BE as well as an older Asus M4A78T-E Mobo. I was wondering whether I would run into any compatibility problems? I figured it would automatically run at 1333 while still being recognizable by the older motherboard. Thought I would ask for second opinions to be sure in case I should possibly return the ram I bought for some 1600 RAM.

Memory kits have several different frequency, timing, voltage profiles they can use.

The above is probably the way to go, then run MEMTEST to verify.

Other:
If you can "AUTO" detect and it chooses a 1600MHz profile then just use whatever it suggests if it is stable under Memtest. Also, don't forget if you OVERCLOCK you can overclock the memory though I think this has a 1600MHz ceiling.

I wouldn't worry too much since even at 1333MHz it wouldn't be a bottleneck to this CPU. STABILITY (Memtest) is the important thing.

Maybe, but I'd try the looser (higher) timings first. It's not like he's likely to have a bottleneck anyway so might as well just aim for stability.