Is getting a 650 watt power supply safe

iRaariTy

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014
I am looking to buy a descent power supply and there are a few sales going on right now. i was just wondering if
getting a 650 watt power supply when my estimated wattage for my build is 332w ok?

KarmAvenger

Reputable
Nov 29, 2014
As long as you meet your estimated wattage and have a little buffer of room between that and the power supply you'll be fine. It's nice to have a bit bigger power supply because you won't have to worry much about if you have enough when you want to SLI/Crossfire your video card if ever or just plug in more drives or anything. I have a 750watt in mine and have had it for 7 years almost and I've never ran into an issue with swapping out/in parts or adding in more.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Here's the biggest single problem with oversized psu's. Their over-protection circuits. If you only are pulling 332w on your total system, and you get a 300w spike, you still haven't exceeded the operating wattage of the psu, so the over-voltage/over-amperage protections will not help you if you spike the motherboard/gpu. Also, you must take into consideration the gpu. Take for instance the Sapphire r9 290 VaporX. It has 2x 8-pin connectors for a reason. Even though it usually runs in the 250w range, it will draw/spike upto 350w out of the 375w total for its connectors. Online calculators do not recognize that.

8-pin = 150w
6-pin = 75w
Pcie = 75w
Cpu = 100w - 200w on average including oc
Mobo + accessories = 100w

Add up your connections etc, and that'll put you right in the ballpark of exactly what you need, tier 1/2a-b psus maybe a little less, tier 3+ maybe more.

Online calculators are garbage, I haven't seen an accurate one yet in over 30 years of computer tinkering/building/fixing.