100 C Core Temperatures. Have I Damaged My CPU?

jippa_lippa

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014
Hello.
I own an intel core i7 4790K, paired with a liquid cooling Corsair H80.
The 4 cores currently sit about 29/30° C in idle mode, but i have done two tests with prime95, and at 100% usage the temperatures reach 100° instantly.
Terrified i shut down the prime 95 test as soon as i could.
The thing i'm worried about is that the high temperature might have damaged my cpu.
The cores stayed for about 20 seconds at 100% temperature....i'm really worried :/
Later i'll try to adjust the liquid cooling (maybe it's badly positioned).
I also knew that the cores automatically drop their clock when too hot.
Can i check my cpu is working with the standard clock, and not reduced one?

I have these applications installed:

- Prime 95
- Speedfan
- MSI Afterburner
- OCCT
- CPU-Z

Solution
jippa_lippa,

Your processor is fine. Here's the problem:

Core i 2nd, 3rd and 4th Generation CPU's have AVX (Advanced Vector Extension) instruction sets. Recent versions of Prime95 run AVX code on the Floating Point Unit (FPU) math coprocessor, which produces unrealistically high temperatures. The FPU test in the software utility AIDA64 shows the same results.

Here's the solution:

It's not necessary to run AVX code for thermal testing. Prime95 v26.6 produces temperatures on 3rd and 4th Generation processors more consistent with 2nd Generation, which also have AVX instructions, but do not suffer from thermal extremes due to having a soldered Integrated Heat Spreader and a 35% larger Die.

Please run Prime95 version 26.6 -...

jippa_lippa

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014

No i don't think so.
I tried other programs aswell, and they all showed comparable temperatures.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
jippa_lippa,

Your processor is fine. Here's the problem:

Core i 2nd, 3rd and 4th Generation CPU's have AVX (Advanced Vector Extension) instruction sets. Recent versions of Prime95 run AVX code on the Floating Point Unit (FPU) math coprocessor, which produces unrealistically high temperatures. The FPU test in the software utility AIDA64 shows the same results.

Here's the solution:

It's not necessary to run AVX code for thermal testing. Prime95 v26.6 produces temperatures on 3rd and 4th Generation processors more consistent with 2nd Generation, which also have AVX instructions, but do not suffer from thermal extremes due to having a soldered Integrated Heat Spreader and a 35% larger Die.

Please run Prime95 version 26.6 - http://windows-downloads-center.blogspot.com/2011/04/prime95-266.html

Your Core temperatures will be 10 to 20C lower.

Here's the specs and some info:

4th Generation 22 Nanometer: 4790K (TDP 88W / Idle 2W)

Standard Ambient = 22C
Tcase (CPU temp) = 74C <--- Thermal Specification
CPU / Core offset + 5C
Tjunction (Core temp) = 79C
Tj Max (Throttle temp) = 100C

At Standard Ambient 22C, here's the typical operating range:

80C Hot
70C Warm (Heavy Load)
60C Norm
50C Norm (Medium Load)
40C Norm
30C Cool (Idle)

Also, please give this Tom's Sticky a read: Intel Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

Thanks,

CT :sol:

Solution

jippa_lippa

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014
Ok, i readjusted the liquid cooling and now i have 29/32° idle, and 78/84° 100% usage.
This without having tested your solution.
Now i'll try your fix.

By the way what does the cpu "Throttle" level mean?
The temperature at which the cpu automatically shuts down to not damage itself?

jippa_lippa

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014

Tested with 26.6 version of prime 95.

Now i have 72-74° at a 100% and about 27/29° idle. (checked with msi afterburner)

Is this acceptable? :) (note i'll keep those temperatures for a few hours every time)
By the way thanks a lot.

P.s.: So, am i sure my CPU hasn't been damage by those high temperatures?
(i'd like to remind you the cpu cooler wasn't installed perfectly)

Small off topic:
Later on i want to replace my Liquid CPU Cooler Corsair h80 with a new one.
Do you guys advice a nice, easy to install decent alternative? (i7 4970K)

CompuTronix

Intel Master

Not exactly ... the processor will "Throttle" (reduce clock speed) at 100C to protect against thermal damage, however, while it's throttling it won't get any hotter, and it's still operating.

Your temperatures are fine, you definitely did not damage your processor ... and you're very welcome!

CT :sol: