430 watt enough for GTX 970?

nyxanna

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
I'm looking to upgrade to the EVGA GTX 970 but only have 430 watt.

Is it enough or do I need to upgrade?
How much watt would I need?

Solution
GTX970 (non overclocked versions) will need two 6 pin pcie connectors.
Factory overclocked versions might need a 8 pin or at least will draw max power.
Most 430w units do not have two 6 pin connectors.because they do not deliver sufficient amps to power them.
I would not try to use a molex to 6 pin adapter.
If your psu is a corsair cx430 with only one 6 pin connector, I would not try.
If your psu is a Seasonic 430 which does have a 6 pin and a 6+2 pin connector, you are probably ok.

Exactly what make/model is your psu?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
that card needs around 300 watts under load from what i am seeing which is around 25 amps on the 12 volt rail. this is for stock cards and will be higher if it's oc'ed with huge coolers and such. i doubt your psu will give it that much and probably needs to be upgraded. 500-550 watts will ensure the card has all it needs. get a good psu with a single large 12 volt rail and you'll have no worries. xfx, seasonic, antec make good psu's. xfx has a nice budget 550 watt psu that is a good buy. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QFwJwP

GTX970 (non overclocked versions) will need two 6 pin pcie connectors.
Factory overclocked versions might need a 8 pin or at least will draw max power.
Most 430w units do not have two 6 pin connectors.because they do not deliver sufficient amps to power them.
I would not try to use a molex to 6 pin adapter.
If your psu is a corsair cx430 with only one 6 pin connector, I would not try.
If your psu is a Seasonic 430 which does have a 6 pin and a 6+2 pin connector, you are probably ok.

Exactly what make/model is your psu?

Solution