Are you 100% safe using a static wrist band and a static mat when building a computer?

billybobjoe

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014
If I'm using both a static wrist band and a static mat, is there any chance at all I, or the computer can get damaged? Or are there more things I can buy to ensure the possibility of me or my computer not getting damaged. On the same note, do I even need a static mat or am I safe just wearing a static wrist band. Any help would be appreciated!

RealBeast

Titan
Agreed, never had an issue in hundreds of builds without anything except common sense. No problem wearing a wrist strap, just avoid shuffling about in wool socks on a silk carpet.

And do avoid touching the metal contacts of components to avoid any chance, and also to keep them nice and clean so they make good contact.

g-unit1111

Titan
Nope if something is going to go wrong, it's more likely a manufacturer defect than it is static. Sure static is a problem but that's more if you build or open your PC with it powered on. If you build with your PC powered off and you use a plastic chair mat when you build you shouldn't have any problems. I just rebuilt (again :ange: ) my PC today and did not need to use a static wrist strap. Static wrist straps to me are just selling you a false sense of security.