fx 8350 + board= $200 4670k + board = $300... Is I5 really worth the extra 100?

Tristtan

Reputable
Jul 19, 2014
Guys, im trying to build something not too expensive for a friend, all the other components are picked but im not sure if he should really pay the extra 100 for the intel combination, the boards im considering have very similar features so basicly it would be expending 100 more for going for the 4670 over the 8350. As we all do, he only cares about gaming and i´ve also noticed 8 core amds seem to be catching up a little on the latest titles.

So, what do you guys think?!

Solution
It's not like the 8350 won't perform ... in order for it to come close to the Intel, you have to OC the crap out of it. This means more voltage to achieve the higher frequency which in turn means more power and more heat. That will get you more noise as you try to keep it cool. The Intel is more efficient and better performing in almost every task - especially gaming. The Intel with your 290 will be a very good gaming set-up.
-Bruce

Tristtan

Reputable
Jul 19, 2014
We are the kind of player obsessed with graphics so we go for everything that seems to be graphically impressive, like for example Dragon Age Inquisition or Crysis 3 and would hope to support some real next gen games like the witcher 3.

rustigsmed

Distinguished
I have an i5 4690k and gtx 970 and use a Samsung tv. I play everything on ultra no dramas. they're a great combo.
the other thing is the efficiency of the intel and new NVidia cards esp the gtx 970 you could probably save on a less powerful psu - and therefore reduce the $100 disparity.

It's not like the 8350 won't perform ... in order for it to come close to the Intel, you have to OC the crap out of it. This means more voltage to achieve the higher frequency which in turn means more power and more heat. That will get you more noise as you try to keep it cool. The Intel is more efficient and better performing in almost every task - especially gaming. The Intel with your 290 will be a very good gaming set-up.
-Bruce

Solution