HD 7850 Problems Temp/Crashing

ItsNathan

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
I have an AMD Radeon HD 7850 XFX Double Dissipation Black Edition and it idles at 40c and gets to 65-70c while playing runescape. Are those reasonable temps? When I stress test this card using Furmark it will jump to 65c within one minute of starting the test. My fan speed is constantly set to 100%. It has yet to go past 70c. Besides temps Runescape frequently crashes with Java stopped working errors or AMD Drivers crashed and recovered errors. Same thing happens while playing Minecraft. I have reinstalled and checked to have the latest versions of both Java and AMD catalyst 32 and 64 bit. While playing non Java games like Bioshock Infinite I receive AMD drivers stopped working or DirectX stopped working errors. I have also noticed some issues but it has been a while when I see artifacts in my web browser or depending what website the flash video will lag a frame every few seconds. Only serious issues is what I already mentioned that I receive errors or crashes under load. There has been cases where my pc completely freezes and restarts with windows recovered from a BSoD notification.
I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.
No OC besides the factory OC on this card which is a 115 mhz boost to the clock and 50 mhz boost to the memory. I have noticed I receive less errors when I downclock to the reference clock.
Are these signs of a faulty card? I ordered a new GTX 660 to replace this card but if there is a way to properly diagnose and see if this card is bad before I use the new one it would be great.

Solution
70 C temps is good. My 7950 has reached 85 C while playing BF4 and surprisingly it was still running fine. Try uninstalling your Catalyst drivers using DDU (Device Driver Uninstaller), this will wipe any left overs from older drivers installed that can interfere. Search up the exact model of your card on the XFX website and it should tell you what drivers and software are recommended, install them.
http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/

It doesn't seem like a faulty card. Looks like software errors, probably installed incorrectly. Maybe try reinstalling Windows aswell.

Mr_Venbeer

Reputable
May 11, 2014
70 C temps is good. My 7950 has reached 85 C while playing BF4 and surprisingly it was still running fine. Try uninstalling your Catalyst drivers using DDU (Device Driver Uninstaller), this will wipe any left overs from older drivers installed that can interfere. Search up the exact model of your card on the XFX website and it should tell you what drivers and software are recommended, install them.
http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/

It doesn't seem like a faulty card. Looks like software errors, probably installed incorrectly. Maybe try reinstalling Windows aswell.

Solution