FX-4130 actually better than Celeron G1820?

Aaron M

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014
First of all, I'm PRETTY sure the FX-4130 is going to be better, but I want to double check.

My brother bought a Celeron G1820 to update his BIOS so he could use a Haswell Refresh CPU on an older Z87 motherboard.

I'm currently running an FX-4130 with 8 gigs of RAM and an overclocked R9 270.

I have a Z87 motherboard ready for when I can afford an i5 CPU, but was wondering if I'd see any better performance from the Celeron.

Only reason I'm asking is because since having purchased the FX-4130, I've seen some people say its performance is pretty pathetic. Yes, I know it'd be quad core vs dual core with no hyperthreading.

The game I play the most only uses two cores, so better per-core performance would be better for that. I don't use many other GPU/CPU intensive programs (most would probably Blender for simple models).

Am I better off sticking with the FX-4130, or should I make the switch to the G1820? Also, the Intel motherboard has 6 GB/s transfer speeds vs 3 on the AMD motherboard, meaning I'll see better performance from my SSD.

Solution
Best way to find out is to test it yourself!

=2129&cmp[]=1807]http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2129&cmp[]=1807

If you have a look at the single core scores, you'll see that the Intel chip beats the AMD chip on a per-core basis.

However, you could also consider overclocking your AMD chip.. Those Zambezi OC quite well.. Maybe even disable 2 of the cores and clock even higher.

SATA transfer speeds will only affect your load times and general day-to-day usage, you probably wouldn't notice a huge difference anyway :)

edit: Can't get this link to work :/ use copy paste

jackal575

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Best way to find out is to test it yourself!

=2129&cmp[]=1807]http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2129&cmp[]=1807

If you have a look at the single core scores, you'll see that the Intel chip beats the AMD chip on a per-core basis.

However, you could also consider overclocking your AMD chip.. Those Zambezi OC quite well.. Maybe even disable 2 of the cores and clock even higher.

SATA transfer speeds will only affect your load times and general day-to-day usage, you probably wouldn't notice a huge difference anyway :)

edit: Can't get this link to work :/ use copy paste

Solution

Aaron M

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014
I might go ahead and give both a try, and see which one performs better for my usage. I'll have to wait till I get my Enthoo Pro for Christmas though, cause my current case is micro-ATX and the Intel motherboard is ATX. XD