i7 4790 temp too high?

johnjugger

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014
My i7 gets to 75c occasionally while playing Battlefield 4, and usually stays at around 73C while playing it, on Intel's site it says that the tempertura limit is 72.72C, can this damage my processor?

Solution
Do you have a particular budget for the cooler? No, you do not want to move the fan to the other side. It will not perform as well in a pull configuration as it will in a push configuration. It will still work, but not nearly as well. What you could do is just raise the fan slightly on the heatsink until it clears the RAM, or, get a cooler with better RAM clearance like the Noctua NH-U14S. You probably still need to raise the fan slightly, but not enough to cause a drastic change in performance.
Absolutely, you probably have a thermal issue that needs addressed. Are you using air or liquid cooling? Is it the stock cooler? Did you build the system or did it come pre-assembled? It could be a bad thermal paste job, a heatsink that isn't seated well, poor case cooling, fan settings in the BIOS or even a Turbo limit that's been set too high.

IRyannHD

Distinguished
I think the tj max is actually something like 98-99C, not 72C, these CPUs do run hotter, what CPU cooler are you using?

If you are using stock, dont. Buy something like a good air cooler such as a Coolermaster 212 Evo, cheap and good.

johnjugger

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014
Yeah, I'm using the stock cooler, I was thinking of getting a Coolermaster Hyper 212X, but I am worried it may not fit my computer
I was testing out and my CPU got to 78c, I decided to just stop playing while I don't fix this

TjMax might be higher, but Tcase is not. This will lead to a throttling situation and aside from that, if you are exceeding Tcase temperatures there is an issue as a cpu with a stock clock should not exceed Tcase unless some other criteria the cooling solution relies on is not being met.

If you go into the BIOS and disable the Turbo boost feature you can likely resume playing until you get a better cooler. You can even just lower the max boost speed by a couple of notches to ensure you don't get throttled if you exceed Tcase specs. You're probably not likely to cause any damage at reported temps in the lower 70's but you don't want it throttling either.

johnjugger

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014
It's a ThermalTake G41, but my problem is my ram is high profile, and it may not fit the cooler as some people say, however, with the 212x I can put the cooler on the other side, right? I guess I'll just do that soon, before something really bad happens to this computer

Do you have a particular budget for the cooler? No, you do not want to move the fan to the other side. It will not perform as well in a pull configuration as it will in a push configuration. It will still work, but not nearly as well. What you could do is just raise the fan slightly on the heatsink until it clears the RAM, or, get a cooler with better RAM clearance like the Noctua NH-U14S. You probably still need to raise the fan slightly, but not enough to cause a drastic change in performance.

Solution

Actually, EVERY time the heatsink is removed, both the CPU lid and heatsink base should be fully cleaned and TIM reapplied or it will reduce cooling efficiency EVERY time. However, nobody said anything about having removed the cooler at any point.

johnjugger

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014
Thanks for the cooler suggestion, yeah, the cooler wasn't moved, I will disable turbo boost for now and look for that other cooler, and raise the cooler a little bit as you said, darkbreeze, and thanks to everyone who replied here

The max cooler height for that case is 185mm, plenty for just about any cooler you want to install. There is possibly an issue though as the case does not indicate that any fans aside from the rear exhaust fan come with the case so if you have not installed a front intake, top exhausts or even optionally a bottom intake, this is likely the reason for your temps. The cpu cooler, regardless of stock or high quality aftermarket design, cannot keep the CPU cool without a constant replenishment of cool air into the case, which a single exhaust fan does not provide. I'd recommend populating the front intake and upper exhaust fan locations with 120mm PWM fans prior to worrying about any other cpu coolers.

Four pin PWM fans depend on your board having four pin fan headers though, so depending on your motherboard three pin voltage regulated fans might be necessary instead. If PWM fans can be used, I would use them though.

johnjugger

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014
Well, I tried a game here without turbo boost and it averaged 70c, however got up to 74c sometimes, I will follow your advice and before changing the CPU cooler, I will make the airflow on the case better

That's a very good and in fact, essential, idea. As of right now the only thing you're using to try and cool the cpu is the hot air in the case. Are you in the US John? If so, you can probably get the necessary fans from a local retailer at a decent price but this is what I'd be inclined to recommend otherwise. A single 120mm 3 pin voltage controlled fan for the top location, which supports that size fan (You can use two 120mm fans there as exhaust or single 140mm as alternative configurations to the 200mm, but the 200mm will flow a LOT more air with a LOT less noise, than either of those) and a single 120mm fan for the front intake location in front of the hard drive bays under the front case panel which you will need to remove in order to install the fan. The front fan is probably the more important of the two, as there is nothing bringing in any fresh air right now aside from the negative case pressure created by the single rear exhaust fan, but the additional top exhaust fan will do wonders in getting the heat from inside the case, out.:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Case Fan: Cooler Master Megaflow 110.0 CFM 200mm Fan ($10.96 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Cooler Master JetFlo 95.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($15.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $26.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-10 16:38 EST-0500

johnjugger

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014
Sadly no, I'm not from the US, I'm from Brazil, and man those coolers are extremelly overpriced here, the MegaFlow Red 200mm will cost me 27 dollars, the same price those two would cost in US, however, if these coolers will solve my problem, I can go a little over budget for them

I can pretty much guarantee they will save you from needing to buy another cooler. Did your stock cooler come with the TIM pre-applied to the bottom of the heatsink? If so, it's doubtful that's the problem and as long as nothing is interfering with the heatsink base being firmly clamped into position it's unlikely that a bad clamp job is the problem either. I'd almost bet the house on it being the lack of case cooling so I'd go for that. It's certainly got to be cheaper than a new cooler and then still need case fans anyhow. Also, it doesn't have to be those particular fans. Any decent 200 or 140mm fan will work up top and the same goes for the front 120mm. I just recommended those as they are known to be reliable, for budget fans.

johnjugger

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014
Ok, thanks dude, yeah, the cooler came with the TIM pre-applied, etc. I found the cooler on another store here for a cheaper price, I was just looking at the wrong place at first, but thanks man, I would never have guessed something like that and would probably get frustrated for not getting results with a h212x, I will look for some nice coolers that I can get here, and will go for the 200mm top - 120mm front idea, do you think it's necessary to put another intake at the bottom too?

Probably not. If you don't mind a little bit of extra noise and want to install two 120mm fans at the top I instead of a single 200 or 140mm fan, the 240mm combined capacity might be a bit better than a single 200mm, but will also be a little bit louder as well. I think a single 200mm up top and a single 120mm in front along with the 120mm rear exhaust that should already be installed will be plenty. Even a single 140mm at the top and 120mm in front would likely work ok.

CompuTronix

Intel Master

Guys,

Respectfully, you're both not exactly ... well ... right. Although Intel's Thermal Specification is 72C, it's not quite that simple.

Please read this Tom's Sticky: Intel Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

From the Guide:

Section 1 - Introduction

Intel desktop processors have thermal sensors for each Core, plus a sensor for the entire processor, so a Dual Core has 3 sensors. Heat originates within the Cores where Digital sensors measure Core temperatures. A single Analog sensor under the Cores measures overall CPU temperature.

Core temperature is 5C higher than CPU temperature due to sensor location. Intel's Thermal Specification is "Tcase", which is CPU temperature, not Core Temperature. Tcase for the i7 4790 is 72C. Tcase + 5 makes the Core temperature 77C.

The relationship between Core temperature and CPU temperature is not in the Thermal Specifications; it's only found in a few engineering documents. In order to get a clear perspective of processor temperatures, it's important to understand the terminology and specifications ... "

Almost everyone "assumes" that Tcase is Core temperature ... it is NOT!

Almost everyone does NOT know that CPU temperature and Core temperature are NOT interchangeable terms.

They are completely different and are 5C apart!

CT :sol:

Is there a point to that clarification of jargon? I fully understand where you're coming from but it's really not relevant to his problem. Are you trying to indicate that his system is NOT getting too hot with a 75c reading, regardless of whether it's a core or package temp? Going off the Intel document that would mean his core temp, regardless that the sensors indicate 75c, are really at 80c, which is even worse. I was also under the impression that the 5c difference was being offset from the reported table data in third party monitors like Core Temp and HWinfo although indications were that there was still the possibility of 1°C or more inaccuracy depending on the assumed junction of 100°C, which of course is probably not accurate for all cpus.

I realize you're more knowledgeable in this area, however, it would seem, that in this case, as with many, that the fact remains there is a high RELATIVE temperature, as compared to temperatures reported using data from similar configurations at stock speeds when cooling is sufficient.

Or were you just trying to clarify nomenclature?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
darkbreeze,

My objective, as always, is to help everyone from becoming even more confused by a very confusing topic, which has no shortage of misinformation not just here at Tom's, but everywhere on the Internet.

The problem is that Intel's Thermal Specification leaves much to be desired, and is about as clear as mud to 99.9% of you. Intel's Thermal Specifications are very disconnected from the realities of how we measure and compare processor temperatures. They don't explain how to connect the dots between their "Tcase" Thermal Specification, which is also CPU temperature ... and how it relates to Core temperature, because the accuracy factors don't precisely fit neatly into their box. Furthermore, it would seem as you read their Thermal Specifications, it becomes somewhat obvious that as a giant corporation, they're written by engineers, then edited by lawyers.

As an electronics engineer, I get it. We don't typically entertain gray areas ... it's either black or white ... and there's always a specific procedure to follow. Nevertheless, how in the hell is anyone supposed to make heads or tails of their Thermal Specifications? There's a spec for desktops, and a spec for laptops ... and never the tween shall meet? How vague is that? There's a definite relationship between CPU temperature and Core temperature ... but it's only described in just two obscure engineering documents that we've ever been able to find in thousands of pages of Intel's papers.

It's a HUGE mess, and I'm just trying to bring some clarity and perspective to this topic, one thread at a time. Over the past 7 years I've invested over 2,800 hours of research, hands-on testing, composition and ongoing editing to bring the best information forward for the benefit of all the computer and overclocking enthusiasts out there.

Most don't understand that there are only three meaningful temperatures; 100% workload, ambient, and dead idle ... in that order. Apps and gaming temperatures are not useful for analyzing processor thermal performance, but we see these threads every day. Since 2007, I've written several iterations of Temperature Guides here at Tom's, the current version being the "Intel Temperature Guide", but it seems like no one bothers to read our Stickies. So getting the message across is extremely difficult!

I can use all the help I can get, including yours. Are you in?

CT :sol:

Furthermore, it would seem as you read their Thermal Specifications, it becomes somewhat obvious that they're written by engineers, then edited by lawyers.

That's for ( Insert expletive) sure! I'm always willing to help any way I can, although, like I said, your understanding and experience without any doubt far exceed mine in this, and probably every area, of hardware technical knowledge. I like to think I'm a fairly intelligent individual, but like you say, it's akin to trying to bring cold fusion to the masses to try and fully understand all, or even any, of the majority of the information Intel provides in this area. At least to me. That's why I try to go with what's RELATIVE.

If ten units prove to safely run at a monitor reported 75°C for two weeks with no problems, (Not that you'd want to do that continuously) and ten units have shown issues beyond that threshold, I'm of the opinion that regardless what the white papers or spec sheets say, that's where you want to draw the line. Call it laymans junction if you will. Heh.