inactive . . .

TheCovertCamper

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014
I am starting with this, any better parts will be greatly appreciated :). http://pcpartpicker.com/p/y67qVn

Also, some things to mention:
The mobo is set in stone unless you can convince me otherwise
Reference Cards look better than every other card and I can always keep a lower fan speed
I am going to have 2 140mm silent led Corsair fans in the front
My budget is $1900

Solution
The 7xx series would be a little dated and although for the money you are getting a block/gpu and backplate bundled in one package, the route to get a custom cooler on your GPU would yield the best results.

Furthermore going for a non reference card would allow you maintain compatability easy access to blocks for such a card whereas a reverse engineered pcb/non reference card would require you go for a block that is only compatible with that card. In some circumstances to the blocks will have etched in them the GPU that they alone support e.g:
http://www.ekwb.com/news/550/19/EK-releases-ASUS-GTX-980-Strix-Full-Cover-water-block/
Notice the Strix milling on the block indicating it is meant for the strix range of GPU by Asus.

Prices for...

Lutfij

Titan
The 7xx series would be a little dated and although for the money you are getting a block/gpu and backplate bundled in one package, the route to get a custom cooler on your GPU would yield the best results.

Furthermore going for a non reference card would allow you maintain compatability easy access to blocks for such a card whereas a reverse engineered pcb/non reference card would require you go for a block that is only compatible with that card. In some circumstances to the blocks will have etched in them the GPU that they alone support e.g:
http://www.ekwb.com/news/550/19/EK-releases-ASUS-GTX-980-Strix-Full-Cover-water-block/
Notice the Strix milling on the block indicating it is meant for the strix range of GPU by Asus.

Prices for blocks vary from vendor to vendor and ofc from retailer to retailer(3rd party)

You could just hold your breath and opt for a Galax GTX 980Hof card with a custom waterblock by EK that should add about $150 to cost of your card...?

edit: I forgot to ask, are you going to setup a loop as well or are you currently cooling the CPU and looking towards expanding the loop?

Solution

TheCovertCamper

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014

Going to start a new loop that will include my i7 3820. My case is an NZXT S340 so I can put the GPU on a 240 in the front and the CPU on a 120 in the back.

Lutfij

Titan
That was very soon to select my post as the solution. Are you sure you got your answer ? :)

On that note,
I personally love that case...haven't had the guts to shell out on one yet as I'm pending on some itx builds but I'd advise to either get another case or limit your rad to 240 at the front. The rear 120 would probably be a hassle to include into the loop as you have to deal with a cramped area around the CPU socket and the top 140 fan. The other issue would be that you'll naturally have to orient the front 240 as intake and the rear 120 as exhaust so if you do the math right on airflow and tdp, you are actually dissipating heat inside the case to the components and also in turn warming the rear 120 rad. I would just mount my rads outside to get the best possible temps and also drawing cooler ambient air instead of preheated air inside the chassis.

Just to be clear are we talking about AIO cooler or custom watercooling? You don't need to split your loop into GPU and CPU as you have 1 GPU only. You can have all the rads connected in serial to form 360mm worth of dissipation area and you would need to figure out where your pump/res would need to rest.

TheCovertCamper

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014

I have a Cooler Master Nepton 280L in push pull now. The air is usaully cold, though. I also have a Fractal design R4 for my secondary. Should I swap cases on those? And yes, I was talking custom loop.

Lutfij

Titan
Hmmm, the Define R5 would be up your alley but we need to establish a few more levels.

What's
1| your full system specs?
2| your budget for watercooling?
3| Have you checked out the watercooling sticky?
and lastly are you willing to part with components if it was required?

TheCovertCamper

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014

1.Case NZXT S340
Motherboard: Some M-ATX Lenovo x79
CPU: i7 3820
Ram: 16 GB DDR3 Hynix Ram
HDD: Seagate 1TB Fusion Drive
700w Thermaltake TR2

2. Around $350 USD including shipping

3. Yes. I don't need to jump the 24 pin I can just use a molex from my secondary. I will part with a motherboard, for sure. Case, the R4 is really nice and I already have one so why not! All in one: to the seconday build. GPU, gonna make that decision soon but I'm already dropping my Zotac card for another. I am planning to go modular on the PSU soon, so yeah I'll be willing to scrap that.

Basically, I am going to start selling PCs with a profit of $300-$400 per build. All I need to do is sell 10 computers to double my banks savings (I'm a student) and get my dream set up. Thanks for being so helpful.

Lutfij

Titan
You would need to figure out where to put the pump in case and the placement of your rads are pretty much fixed at two locations - the front and the back(if going internally mounted). That TR2 unit is the worst possible unit you could use on a build so I'd ask you swap it out and have you made a shopping list for your watercooling hardware? The budget seems nice and it wouldn't hurt if you could brush up on your parts to expose any mistakes/compatibility issues...?

The last pointer, I'd have to say with a heavy heart, although you're trying to offer something as a service to the masses...its much easier said than done. Nowadays people wouldn't bother with people who have machines marked up even by $100 USD. In fact those sort of mark ups are insane in this day and age. I'd suggest toning it down a little(alot) and start off small. You can establish a name for yourself this way and work your way up. Expecting to double your investments in a short time is a bad gamble furthermore those sort of prices would be highway robbery in daylight hours. People would rather prefer assembling their own machine(s) or hit the next best thing, Prebuilt systems courtesy of Aleinware, Digital Storm, FNW and the list goes on...but I hope you've got the point.

If you're a student the best option would be take up a part time job and take a look at machines on the off days/hours. Lastly, dream machines are best built with patience and hardships ... the taste of such labor is so sweet you'll be looking at the clouds on how you got that far.

Just some friendly advice, no offence given :)

TheCovertCamper

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014

I was thinking about getting a Corsair modular PSU and for the PC, I was planning on upping the Price $100 but including the expensive shipping and charging no tax. My dad said 20% gain but that's very unreasonable. Yeah I made some different lists on EK's website. I am planning on using 7/16 tubing. Maybe comp. fittings if I can afford it. I was also considering getting a Swiftek H220x and adding a GPU. It would definitely cost less than a full custom loop. What are your thought's on that?

Lutfij

Titan
The Swiftech H22x/H series or the Fractal Kevin range of products as well as the Coolermaster Glacer 240L(which is a rebranded Swiftech H220, which was sort of banned by Asetek due to a patent infringement) are all wonderful candidates to work either as a AIO unit without opening the tubings/fittings but double as an expansive cooling unit by only adding some tubing, fittings and a cooling block of your choice, say, something like ram blocks or in your case, full cover GPU blocks.

True it costs less than a full custom loop but the performance you're getting is a little lower and ofc reduced bling. But its an excellent opportunity to get your feet wet and you can learn alot from your first endeavor. Its right around the same price as an AIO Corsair/Coolermaster or so on unit, only difference being that the AIO unit has their warranties void the moment you cut the tubing and if you want to cool a GPU with an AIO unit you need to add a bracket of sorts...

Might I ask where you live?

20% is an unrealistic margin to be honest. Tone it down and you'll see clients come around and those who think its overpriced can go to someone else :)

Oh right, where else would you consider shopping? FrozenCPU/Performance PC's? Though I'd probably advise better if I knew where you live.

TheCovertCamper

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014

Update: I'm selling my entire rig rather than the graphics card. I'm going to get a Corsair 450D, MSI SLI+ x99 motherboard, i7 5820k, 2 reference GTX 970s that I'm gonna put white rather than green leds on. I'm keeping my HDD, though. So. Top mounted radiator. Push or pull? Heat rises so pull should be fine. I'm putting two 140s up front so those should be enough for the exhaust fan to work with. I will probably go 5 1/4 on the res. this time. So, what parts would you recommend with clear tubing and green uv fluid? Also, I'm probably not gonna water cool the graphics cards (unless I REALLY want to). And for the PSU I'm going with a Corsair CX 750m and 8gb of Crucial memory. Thank you so much, you have been really kind and helpful. I can see why you're a mod.

Lutfij

Titan
Push or pull will net similar results but when doubt, Push is preferred. I'm yet assuming yo're going for an internal mount so I'd advise noting the length of your screws as they could eat into you radiator fins. Alot of people have gone through the issue being a first time builder.

I didn't quite understand this though:
I'm putting two 140s up front so those should be enough for the exhaust fan to work with.
are we talking about having dual 140's in exhaust or intake? The optimal airflow pattern in your chassis should be cold air intake front/lower front>top/rear exhaust or you will have a conflicted airflow path and since airflow is the quintessential element in a chassis' and components thermals you'll need to get that bit right.

I will probably go 5 1/4 on the res. this time.
5x(times) 1/4" fittings? The mimimum internal dia you should have is 3/8" ID but it is advised to go above that.

Sadly down int eh world of watercooling, we don't prescribe parts or make a list for you to purchase as it takes the fun out of the build and ofc kills your creativity/thought process. The sticky covers alot of things to look out for and the color/aesthetics aspect can be dealt with at you a pace you are comfortable with.

Personally I'd opt out of coolants and go for plain ol' distilled water. If you are hell bent on getting some color into the loop you can opt for colored tubing(with mathcing or contrasting fittings) but if you really want to go further, then there is Mayhems Pastel to add to your distilled. Mind you you would need to refrain from using a silver kill coil if you go mayhems.

Are you looking forward to just gaming or possible content creation/3D rendering? IF so then in this day and age you need more than 8GB and since you're looking at the X99 platform, you'll need to populate 4 slots as opposed to 2 on a mainstream board. So that is 4x2GB Sticks?

I'm flattered but we're here to help :) + You're welcome.

You haven't told me where you live...

TheCovertCamper

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014

1. 140s are intake
2. I was referring to a 5 1/4 inch bay reservoir
3. Got it. I have a Microcenter near me which has all you need to make a loop. I'll make sure it's all compatible with them
4. I am planning to do a bit of both. I was going for 1 8GB stick. I had 16GB in my system before. My only issue was that 16GB was nearly $200. I guess I can always upgrade later. But, I'll get 2x 4GB so that I can fill all four slots later on.
5. Cincinnati

Lutfij

Titan
Alright the intakes are clear, the res is okay, any bay res will work provided the arey of good build since there a number of brands that offer bay res'. Acrylic bay res' do have some issues with cracking if the fitting is screwed on too tight or if you force the tubing on the fitting while its on the res' end.

I would rather suggest looking at the parts you have available to you and also educating yourself via the watercooling sticky so you aren't trumped into buying something they would normally want to clear their shelves off of. Furthermore, these sort of things can be verified on the watercooling sticky and an inquiry on Tom's.

You've misunderstood me again, you'd need to populate 4 of the 8 slots on the X99 mobo to start with. FYI - ram compatible with the X99 platform come in a quad channel kit, 4 sticks of ram i.e .

Newegg is a good stop for computer hardware and you have access to pretty much any watercooling e-tailer... :)

TheCovertCamper

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014

Oh I will read the sticky just to make sure that I'm good to go. I didn't know that you needed 4 slots filled, thank you for educating me. I personally, will never shop at Newegg again because they made me pay $150 to return an Acer 4k monitor that ended up being total [language edited by moderator].

* watch your language
Lutfij

Lutfij

Titan
You're welcome! Regarding the watercooling sticky, its considered the holy grail for any watercooling newcomer/enthusiast so its like the one stop solution for brushing up on your watercooling knowledge and ofc to fall back on when in doubt...btw alot of time has been dedicated on that sticky by my colleague Rubix and it was what helped me start up when I delved into watercooling for the first time. So speaking from experience, read first and then go shopping.

Microcenter isn't that good either. I've read horror stories from them too. Provided you know what you're looking for, the deals available are plenty and the parts range are slim.

TheCovertCamper

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014

You're friend did a really good job, the sticky is very thorough. I have had trouble with Microcenter but they have every part I need except for the reference 970's (which are at a Best Buy 5 minutes from there) and they have the lowest price for the 5820k out of anywhere. My family has been shopping there for a while and they gave $150 off my MacBook Air for no real reason besides that I asked. Also, they gave me the Shield Tablet a day early from their stock. So overall, they have been good to me so I don't really have a problem buying from them. They also do price matching so that'll help too.

Lutfij

Titan
Different strokes for different folks then :D Alright, you've made your point, Microcenter it is!

So when are you going down to them? Will you be going to buy them at first glance or just window shopping and then come home to make a final decision?

TheCovertCamper

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014

I'm buying directly from Microcenter the day I sell my PC.

Specs so far:

MSI SLI Plus x99 - $220

i7 5820k - $300

Crucial 4 x 4GB Ballistix Sport - $200

Corsair 450D - $120

Corsair CX 750M - $75

2x GTX 970 Reference - $660

Undecided Custom Loop - ~$170

Total Price (with 6% tax) - $1849.70

Lutfij

Titan
You could opt for a single most powerful card like the GTX 980 non reference editions since you won't be watercooling the GPU down the road. SLI/crossfie support isn't all that stellar when you take a look at it in person. On appear yeah they are amazing but in reality a handful of games can take advantage of them and the point about stutters and the worst possible case being crashes.

You could also opt for going with a smaller form factor mobo since you won'd be populating all of the PCIe slots?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157545&cm_re=asrock_X99M_killer-_-13-157-545-_-Product

Here's my take;
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($374.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X99M Killer Micro ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($229.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Redline 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($281.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($549.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 350D Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 660W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($156.66 @ Newegg)
Total: $1783.59
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-15 05:16 EST-0500

* You didn't add an OS, what are you going to use on your machine to boot up to?
** I'll explain what I chose and why I chose them after you've cleared the OS bit :)

TheCovertCamper

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014
I was thinking if I'm only gonna have one GPU, that I would go with a Sliverstone RVZ01B, due to size and form factor. I was planning to go with 970 SLI because I would only get around 10 fps more with a 980 compared to a 970, no reason to go spend $200-$300 in build price difference. I would like for you to explain ;) BTW, I have a hybrid drive with all of my files and Windows on it from my current build.

Lutfij

Titan
Windows will act weirdly when you only transplant the drive to a new system while you keep the OS intact. Eventually you'll need to install drivers - if not then the hassle of running a system without proper drivers will only result in less hair on your scalp and more hours here on Tom's Troubleshooting. Thus why I suggested the OS. The OS critical mind you!

Explanation:
CPU - as is

Mobo - more feature rich than what you get on a matx form factor compared to the EVGA and there are currently only 3 boards offering X99 platform on matx form factor. I thought downgrading in size would benefit in your setup and space arrangement as I'm an architect and I tend to think about space saved and ofc the overall professional look of the setup. The Obsidian series is professional enough to be in an office yet snazzy enough to fit as a gaming chassis, all in all, casual. So that explains the case.

Cooling - The CLC is there since you didn't want to include the GPU int he loop and so I assumed you're going watercooling only for the looks so for a few dollars less you get a cooler in there that can handle the hot headed 5820K however do note, if you'd like to migrate to custom level watercooling, you sure can as there a number of build logs showcasing a fully packed watercooled 350D with dual GPU's

Ram - Fits the color scheme and Mushkin hasn't let me down in my systems and system builds.

GPU - single most powerful card, no issue of sli'ing or driver support to get increased performance. When you take into account the single GPU, you can populate the other slots with probably add on cards but the board already comes fully featured. The only additional accessory you'd need would be a wifi dongle+router to go with it.

PSU - Its a seasonic unit that is platinum rated. Period!

I figured since they slash their prices for you, the prices above from Newegg could be translated to Microcenter pricing ;) , no ?

* I was thinking that of the RVZ01 as well but I didn't want to toss out the idea of watercooling in your build. Personally you could opt for an EVGA Hadron build too but you'd have to swap to Z97 platform since X99 doesn't come in an itx form factor due to manufacturing/socket placement constraints.

TheCovertCamper

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014

Very useful info! I was thinking to go of more of a black/green theme, though. So... This is what I'm thinking would go with your advice and my preference:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6HRfkL

I think the Titan will be nice because it'll have that extra 6GB for video rendering and it should get very similar performance in games over the 980. I'm not focussed on video editing but my 970 took like 6 hours for 20 minutes @1080p 30fps. The 980 did get better performance in games, though. Which do you think will be better for me? Also, I'll get a reference card so that I can sand off the green paint in the LED for white lighting and spray paint the plastic cover black and the 980/Titan letters green. Hopefully, it will turn out badass. You really are knowledgable and without your help, I would've bought the wrong products. As for Windows, the drive was already transferred from my secondary with an AMD motherboard and a 650. All it took was maybe 10-20 minutes to get all of the drivers working properly. Thanks again.

Lutfij

Titan
AMD and Intel don't use the same drivers for their chipsets but You'll understand what I was saying when you migrate to your new hardware.

Head down to the main page on Tom's and check out the carousel where you can see the EVGA X99 micro reviewed. I'd suggest reading the Asrock X99 matx mobo review here on Tom's too before deciding to go with the EVGA X99 micro. The titan is an old card compared to the 980 but it it doubles as a workstation card and a gaming card however with all things tech, it'll show its age in due time about a year or so after purchase. Don't get me wrong but where on earth are you getting a Titan from at that price - I'm not sure if you're trolling since they are nowhere to be found only to be succeeded by the Titan Black and Titan Z. Modifying the parts will most certainly void your warranty so be careful of what you do :)

Looks like you're set(once you get your GPU matter sorted out)...except for your OS.

TheCovertCamper

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014

Lol I meant a Titan Black. I think what I'll do is get the 980. I like to live life on the edge so I'm fine with voiding my warranty ;). I already void the warranty on my current card in order to put some better thermal paste on the GPU. I think I'll still go with a custom loop, since the aesthetics will look just too cool with a nice colored coolant (most likely distilled water). Motherboards now. The ASRock has killer lan which is a major plus for me. The motherboard is red, though. Would some nice BitFenix Alchemy in green take care of it? I think it's definitely worth it to have to deal with driver issues and optimization for a little while as everything adjusts than loose everything that I have now. I could maybe use the copy of windows that I have now, buy a 2TB HDD, as well as an SSD, and migrate all of the files over with windows on the SSD for boot. This would be like an extra $150 but that is the price difference from a 970 sli to a 980, fitting in perfectly.

TRENDING THREADS