FX 6860 UR20P Graphics card upgrade?

Stingy

Reputable
Oct 7, 2014
I have had a 6860 for about three years. it is my first gaming PC and I have had and it has been very enjoyable. however now i am running a dual monitor and certain games run at very low fps, which I absolutely despise, thus making me not even want to play them. I decided to upgrade my gpu to a Radeon R9 280x, but to no avail. after starting up my computer i just get a "HDMI power saving mode." sign. I thought even though this computer has a massive psu, maybe its a problem with power. so, i returned it and ordered a 280. same thing. and now a 270x, and i have not tried it yet. does anyone know what the problem is?

Solution
It could be an issue with the PSU, the 270x needs much more power then your old 7770. I'd try another PSU at this point and see. Not all PSU's are up for the task. That PSU might not be really a 750watt but labeled as 1 because its max peek may only be 750watt where in real life it may be less then a 400watt continuous at around room temp.

Stingy

Reputable
Oct 7, 2014
i have tried a multitude of combinations on the pins, and some got the fan running, some didn't. I had not uninstalled my first drivers first as i had thought you didn't need to do that to access the logo screen, right? thank you.

Stingy

Reputable
Oct 7, 2014
Now I have tried to install a 270x but my computers peripherals do not light up with their led's! The screen simply does not show anything as well. Is this a power related issue?

It could be an issue with the PSU, the 270x needs much more power then your old 7770. I'd try another PSU at this point and see. Not all PSU's are up for the task. That PSU might not be really a 750watt but labeled as 1 because its max peek may only be 750watt where in real life it may be less then a 400watt continuous at around room temp.

Solution
I personally run a Thermaltake Smart m850 watt. I like it, but its not the best by far, I picked it up for $80 at Bestbuy.

Something like this will work http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153198&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Power+Supplies-_-N82E16817153198&gclid=Cj0KEQiAwaqkBRDHx6rzxMqAobgBEiQAxJazJxDGtvFCo39MzV36WYST9u8ewrYkahmbQJYFh2tRAaQaAuvV8P8HAQ

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139040

Either 1 of them will work. Reason Im going with a 700+ watt is if you do decide to upgrade later down the road or send the R9 270x back for the R9 280 or 290 you'll have enough power for the card and later upgrades. You can get away with a 550 watt, just make sure its 80 plus and well a name brand that people can trust like Corsair, Seasonic ect.

Though a 550 watt would run a R9 280, but It would be cutting it close.

If you have any questions about a PSU, let use know. I'll at least reply as soon as I can.

Stingy

Reputable
Oct 7, 2014
Alright thanks man! i appreciate this sooo much thank you sooo much! i think im gonna buy the second one! and, i do think i will replace the 270x with a 280x if it does work. also i have a mass of peripherals such as an (LED illuminated) razer kraken 7.1, (LED illuminated) blue snowball mic, (LED illuminated) razer deathadder, and speakers. with all of these peripherals, and a 280x, would the corsair one work well? thank you!

P.S. is installing a psu difficult? could i watch an online tutorial on it or would it be better to get the geeksquad service i have at bestbuy to deal with that? (if they can,) and also could you please link me to an identical version of the corsair on amazon? thanks so much!
-My sincere thanks, Stingy

Installing a PSU is vary easy. Meaning you can't plug things in wrong, only 1 way they can be plugged in.

You can look around on youtube on how to replace a PSU, though Wire management might be hard to do with that case you have, but since you don't overclock, just make sure the wires are not where they can get caught in the fans.

And don't forget the CPU 8 or a 4 pin by the CPU socket, without that the PC wont boot. And the video card will have two 6pins or one 8 and one 6 pins, without them the system will not boot.

Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Builder-Series-Bronze-Certified/dp/B008RJZQSW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1418612442&sr=8-2&keywords=CX750&pebp=1418612445495

Also, here is a good video, this guy goes threw pretty much each step to install a Power Supply and a video card. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TMRxCdIyVQ

Stingy

Reputable
Oct 7, 2014
Ok, I tried to install the psu but I think there must be some issues happening as ny computer somply is not turning on. This includes fans, lights, everything. Is there any important things I must kniw about installing a psu? I plugged in a 4 pin labeled "cpu" to the motherboard along with its 24 pin, a single SATA, I beleive its called, (a long black strip with an indentation) into the hard drive and two 6 pin "pcie" labeled connections to my grapgics card.

P.S. I have taken off the outtake fan. Is there any way I can still use it? I see no visible cable I can disconnect it from my old one and put it on my new one. There is also an absence of a few smaller previously described thin, wide, indented black cables that were connected to my motherboard before. Thanks for the help.

Did you plug in the CPU power? The 4 pin right by the rear IO (Rear USB's Audio) and between the CPU socket (Circled in Red).
u4zzqis7uhg9zg8zg.jpg

The fan im not sure why Gateway would run a wire for the fan directly from inside the PSU. It might just be Zip tied to the other wires.

Indented black cables? Is there a way you can take a picture or find a picture? All the gateway FX 6860 systems I found, the PSU is just a standard ATX PSU, nothing different about it other then its a bit on the cheaper side of things. So pretty much any desktop PSU will work on your system.