Sub £200 Monitor - Please Advise

FruityLoop23

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
Hi guys,

Getting a new monitor for Xmas as a gift, having been running my new machine on my living room TV for a couple of months but going to move to a new room after Xmas and have approx €250/£200 to spend on it. Any advice would be appreciated, after response times, refresh rates and resolution, my monitor knowledge is pretty much exhausted.

1. What Is Your Country Of Origin? Ireland (Hoping to buy from Amazon UK)

2. What do you plan to do with this monitor? General computer use, some gaming (WoW), some movies

3. What resolution and screen size do you want? 24-25"

4. What refresh rate do you want? Open to suggestion

5. How much are you looking to spend? Up to €250/£200, hopefully a little less.

6. Brands Preferred - Open to suggestion

7. Brands Not Preferred (state reason why) - NA

8. Are You Buying More Than One Monitor? - No

9. How Many Displays Can Your GPU Support Maximum? And what GPU and driver version are you using if applicable? - VTX3D AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB GDDR5

10. What Port Do You Want To Connect To (ex. DVI-D, HDMI, etc). HDMI I suppose?

11. Is This Monitor A Primary Display Or A Secondary Display? Primary

12. Is This A Secondary Display For A Laptop? No

Thanks is advance!

Solution

Neur0nauT

Admirable

Well you will be glad to hear that it should be relativity easy to get a decent 24" or even a 27" monitor for under £200/€250

The only thing I will suggest is to make sure you get one with a 1ms response time. You won't need more than 60Hz for WOW etc. Once you start adding 120 or 144Hz the prices shoot up. Although you could get a 144Hz 27" one for about £200, if you stick with 60Hz, you're looking at around £160 for a 60Hz 27"

You might want to wait until the new year sales to get a good price on one. The names to look out for in this spec are Veiwsonic, BenQ, Ilyama, AOC.

Solution

Neur0nauT

Admirable

That's not bad. 24" for 1080p is a good buy, If you were going to get 27" I wold suggest you up the resolution to 1440p, but its going over £200 territory then.