FX-6300+SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 270X or I3-4130+MSI R9 270X

Solution

I'm sorry, I disagree, especially now with directX 12 coming soon, despite how inefficient the processor is and the single core performance, the extra cores is going to make a big difference.
as it stands now, even at stock clock, the fx 6300 is technically better than the I3 for multi-tasking and multi-core based applications, such as gaming, as well as editing etc. However there are older games that will benefit from the I3's better single core performance.

In all honesty there is very little difference...

dasulman

Honorable
I personally would go for the I3 just so I could upgrade to the I5 or i7.
BUT
the 270X is basically an overclocked 270.
so if you chose a 270 and saved the money, then you can maybe save enough money to just get the I5 4430.

CoolCurt912

Reputable
Sep 25, 2014

For gaming i3 is better...

dasulman

Honorable

I'm sorry, I disagree, especially now with directX 12 coming soon, despite how inefficient the processor is and the single core performance, the extra cores is going to make a big difference.
as it stands now, even at stock clock, the fx 6300 is technically better than the I3 for multi-tasking and multi-core based applications, such as gaming, as well as editing etc. However there are older games that will benefit from the I3's better single core performance.

In all honesty there is very little difference between them if we were to take each's strengths and weaknesses and take an average.

it depends if OP wants to upgrade in the future - should he want to upgrade, then they should get the I3
If OP is strictly playing older games, then he should get the I3
However
If OP is just venturing to the present gaming world, then the FX 6300 will be better both for current gen games and the future.

But seriously OP I would look into getting a cheaper R9 270 then overclocking it using MSI afterburner, and using that saved money to buy an I5 4430/40/60 - that way in the future you only have to upgrade your GPU in the future if you want better framerates.

Solution

Heriophant

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
I have a AMD with a Sapphire R9 270x and for gaming it's beast, If you want to stream and play games like me then AMD will be better than the i3 but if you go intel route I would go with i5 over the i3.