Will a GT 630 bottleneck my i5 4690k?

LoneSurvivor

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
So basically, I have a 12 month used GT 630 from my old build. And since I won't be able to get a better graphics card until much later, should I install my GT 630? I'm a heavy gamer, and playing on all low settings with my Intel HD 4600 is not enough for me.

However, I'm also aware of bottlenecking (at least a little bit...). So would my GT 630 bottleneck my i5 4690k?

Solution

Not really when the dependency is one direction. Think about it. What can a GPU do to slow down a CPU? Will the CPU slow down if a different GPU is used? What if no GPU is used and integrated graphics is used? That CPU is still going to chug along.

barto

Expert
Ambassador
I personally don't like the concept of a GPU bottlenecking a CPU. IMO technically that can't happen. The GPU is dependent on the CPU. So if a weak GPU is paired with a strong CPU, that just means the graphics won't be very high. If a strong GPU is paired with a weak CPU, that simply means the the GPU won't be used to it's full capability.

That being said, buy a new GPU. If you have a decent PSU get a 970GTX if you can afford it.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

I know a gpu cant bottleneck a cpu lol im just trying to get across how much of bottleneck there wont be. And somebody correct me if im wrong but would the integrated graphics in the i5 be just as or more powerful than the GT 630?

LoneSurvivor

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014

Actually, a EVGA GTX 970 is exactly what I was shooting for. Although I don't really have the cash at hand right now. My PSU is a CX 750M, and despite some poor reviews for it compared to other PSU's, do you think it'll atleast cooperate with my future 970?

barto

Expert
Ambassador

That wasn't a statement to correct you. It was to help the OP out with the concept of bottleneck. And yes the 630 is stronger than integrated graphics.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

Yes no problem at all the CX750 is not bad but it isent good either but it will handle a 970 no problem.

LoneSurvivor

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014

I've checked myself (and through experience) that a GT 630 is at the very least about 2x more powerful then my Intel HD 4600. But a gpu can't bottleneck a cpu? I thought bottlenecking worked like a teeter totter.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

Bottlenecking is when the cpu is not powerful enough to handle what the gpu is throwing at it. For example when i play battlefield 4 my gpu usage tops out at 90% but my cpu usage goes right up to 100% and is holding my gpu back so i have a slight bottleneck.

barto

Expert
Ambassador

Meh, the CX series has a bad rep because of the cheaper components used inside (the capacitors). If you have the chance to upgrade to a higher quality one, it wouldn't be a bad idea. But it can support a 970GTX without issue. Many people don't experience any issues and run SLI with those PSUs. I wouldn't but that's just me.

barto

Expert
Ambassador

Not really when the dependency is one direction. Think about it. What can a GPU do to slow down a CPU? Will the CPU slow down if a different GPU is used? What if no GPU is used and integrated graphics is used? That CPU is still going to chug along.

Solution