FX-8350 with a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 MB: new build, worries about temps

Koyomi

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014
So I built a new computer last week and I noticed the stock fan on the 8350 was crazy loud under load. It got me worried about temps and after doing some research here and on other sites I'm a actually more confused than before. I've been using speed fan and CPUID HWMoniter to watch my temps while gaming and I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not. I plan to get the cooler master Hyper 212 Evo and some Artic Silver thermal grease, just because it will be quite compared to the stock cooler, which as I said is crazy loud under load though I understand that's normal with stock coolers, but I'm wondering if these temps aren't too high to begin with. This is a record I captured of CPUID after playing for a bit.

http://imgur.com/6cKgNvs

The max I've seen for #1 is 70c while gaming, 66-67c for #2, and I've seen #3, the fan speed go as high 5.3k RPM, though really anything over 4k and I have to put on headphones really. Those are max values though and I don't know how long they ever stayed there as I only saw them after looking, but it looks like those were just brief spikes. When I looked at CPUID while playing a game (gotta love windowed mode), it looked like the average was a few degrees (4-5) less. The min values in that image tend to be what I get when I'm idle or not doing much beyond web surfing and youtube and the like. I really hope this is okay and all I need is a better cooler to make it quieter as I've already sunk a fair amount of money into this (and filed rebates for the MB and PSU so I can't send them back at this point).

This is my entire build, minus the video card which I haven't ordered yet, and I actually went with a 850 watt PSU so I can go with SLI someday..
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qrzNWZ

Other than the sound of the stock fan driving me nuts, I've noticed nothing wrong. System has been stable, no crashes, no slowdowns, no errors really to speak of, runs smooth and I really like it so far. I did have to go into the BIOS to set the fan to silent so the RPM's would smooth out, before that they would rapidly go up and down, was worse than more constant speed silent mode gets me, though as far as I know the RPM's never went any higher than they do now.

As for where the tower is it's under my desk but it's an open frame desk so there's not any panels or anything really blocking the airflow. It is sitting on the floor but it's on a board I put underneath it, not the carpet. The room is kind of on the small side (10x12) and I tend to keep the door closed (but even with it open the numbers are the same). Plus if I'm reading CPUID right the inside of the case isn't going above 34c, so I really doubt where I have it is affecting things.

Oh and speed fan reports almost identical numbers to CPUID when they were running at the same time, but it doesn't give max/min records like CPUID so I just gave the image of CPUID.

Also the game I was playing was Final Fantasy 14 though I doubt that matters, just trying to give as much info as I can.

Koyomi

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014
GhislainG: I tried to install AMD Overdrive, it gave me an error when trying to install it and canceled the install. Was error 1935 if you know a way workaround.

Coolcole01: Looks like I'm running closer to the edge than I like, good thing I already plan to get the hyper 212, though I was hoping newegg would get it back in stock as I prefer getting all my parts from them. I could order it from amazon, but even with prime, there shipping can be a bit ruff sometimes. With most of the stuff I get there, IE Books, movie/game discs, that's not an issue really, since there aren't any moving parts. I'll give it a couple days, mainly because I might be going to visit some family this weekend before Christmas, if the weather lets me go. Yay for unpaved country back roads in winter. If it turns to ice and snow, won't even be able to get there, much less leave. going to have to wait and see how the forecast shapes up. If I'm going out of town it can wait, if not I'll go ahead and just get it, whoever has it. From everything I read Artic Silver is the way to go for the thermal grease, would this be the best to get?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=35-100-007

Along with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100010 to clear off the grease from the stock cooler.

These look like a set, and I can get lint free towels from where my mother works.