Fx-6100 only showing 4 cores?

Totemhorn11

Reputable
Dec 17, 2014
This might be a simple answer, but I have looked and looked for the answer for several days now to no avail. I have an FX-6100, but Dxdiag and Overdrive say I have 4 cores. Task Manager says I have 2 cores and 4 logical processors. It is confusing me because it isn't even showing half of the advertised cores. If it were, then I would just assume it was the way AMD chips are made with the cores sharing resources. Can someone please explain how this equals a 6 core, or if my processor is ACTUALLY using less than all 6 cores? It is much appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Here is a picture
http://imgur.com/ihT750z

Solution
try updating bios, and leave the core pick/number to auto...
also check in the win8.1 (if u can go to runs and type "msconfig")

also is the proc still in warranty? and u are correct fx-6100 is "6" core

rdc85

Honorable
check in bios is there is disabled core..

also the is a configuration in windows that can limit max cpu core count visible/on..
forget the exact name, will post up later

update: in win7 go to msconfig, boot, advanced configuration, see if the max number processor is limited.
if it was, just uncheck the box.. (to un limit it)

not familiar with win 8.x and others, but there should be something simmilar

Totemhorn11

Reputable
Dec 17, 2014

Sorry, I forgot to mention I'm running Windows 8.1. When I look in the BIOS, it has an option to choose number of cores, but it only goes up to 4.

rdc85

Honorable
try updating bios, and leave the core pick/number to auto...
also check in the win8.1 (if u can go to runs and type "msconfig")

also is the proc still in warranty? and u are correct fx-6100 is "6" core

Solution

Totemhorn11

Reputable
Dec 17, 2014
I'm an idiot. I was going through my BIOS again and realized i set the cores to 4 instead of auto. My PC has been like that for about 2 months. Thanks for the tip. It made me look back at that setting.