Help with 9590 no clue what im doing.

kmfv

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Ok. I got the 9590.. wish i hadn't but can't go back now. I have a Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 Mobo and a Cooler Master Seidon 120v Watercooler on it. I ran a OCC stress test on it and it came out at 62 C after 3 minutes. I don't know if thats good or bad seems to be a little high. My problem is that after playing some games (mainly cod advanced warfare) My PC will freeze up. sometimes sooner than later. just trying to figure out why.

Solution
On your BIOS disable everything to do with Auto overclock, Auto voltage, Turbo clock, etc.
Manually set your CPU multiplier to reach 4.7 ghz, and manually set your CPU voltage to 1.5v. Run the test again and see if anything changes.

You might need to follow a guide on how to do that on your motherboard. On ASRock motherboards is fairly simple so it should be on GIGABYTE as well.

kmfv

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011

I haven't done anything at all but install it. here is the screenshot.
cpuz_zpsee47c118.png
[/URL][/img]

Mr_Venbeer

Reputable
May 11, 2014
It seems to be underclocking itself unless you have set the multiplier to 4.5 ghz. I have a feeling this is a throttling issue. You might have installed the water block wrong, or not much air is getting to the radiator. How many fans you have on the radiator and is it a push, pull, or push and pull configuration?

kmfv

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011

I have a fan on the inside of the block blowing out and a fan on the outside of the case pulling air from inside out. Both fans are blowing out. i did use a whole tube of thermal gel on it when i put it on. I noticed it would underclock itself as well when it got up to around 61-63 c I saw it go down to 1.7 at one time.. only for a second while it dropped back down to mid 50s

Mr_Venbeer

Reputable
May 11, 2014
Your CPU VCORE voltage seems to reduce itself as well. It should be running at 1.5v stable. It could then be a power supply problem. What's your power supply and graphics card ?
I can see it reaches 4.7ghz and 1.5v max, but currently runs lower.

kmfv

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011

SolidGear 850W Power Supply - ATX, Single 12V Rail, 140mm Nano Fan, Anti-radiation Filter, Short Circuit, Over Voltage & Over Power Protection - SDGR-850E

Asus 3gb 660TI GPU

Mr_Venbeer

Reputable
May 11, 2014
On your BIOS disable everything to do with Auto overclock, Auto voltage, Turbo clock, etc.
Manually set your CPU multiplier to reach 4.7 ghz, and manually set your CPU voltage to 1.5v. Run the test again and see if anything changes.

You might need to follow a guide on how to do that on your motherboard. On ASRock motherboards is fairly simple so it should be on GIGABYTE as well.

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

It's very difficult to isolate the problem when there's already a big red flag with the power supply. Even if it's actually an 850W -- which I seriously doubt -- I would be extremely surprised if a bottom-barrel PSU was able to consistently deliver clean, consistent power to what is an extremely power-hungry CPU.

kmfv

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
my multiplier is chaing from x23.5 to x7.0 as well.. is this something i should change in bios?
I answered my own question on this.. I went in and changed it.. still the same issue.. multiplier drops to x7.0 and core speed drops to 1406mhz

Mr_Venbeer

Reputable
May 11, 2014
No that's normal. It gets itself in idle mode, which lowers clocks and voltages in order to save power and heat.
Is this happening while you stress test? Run a CPU stress test and keep an eye on clocks and voltage.

Sorry for the late reply, was just installing a new deepcool case fan :)

kmfv

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011

You're fine.. I ran the test again.. my voltage drops to 1.416 but hangs out about there during the entire stress test, which I ran for about 5 minutes, however the core speed will drop but only after about 4 minutes and when it gets around 61/62 C.. drops for just a second and the temp drops to around 54 C.

Mr_Venbeer

Reputable
May 11, 2014
That basically means the CPU is throttling at that moment. 62 C is a bit high for my processor (FX-8320). AMD states the safe max temp is 61 C for the FX 8 core CPU's.
You could try resintall the water block and replace the thermal paste, but it won't matter since the temps only hit the warm side at 100% load. Run a test game now, that isn't too CPU demanding and keep an eye on the clock speeds.

Just woke up

LookItsRain

Distinguished
Try disabling all power saving options, turbo core,and update the bios, ive found that the FX and A series seems to get stuck in a power saving mode when having high loads. For example, after playing a game for a few mins, my fps drops into the teens as my a10 5750m goes down to 900 mhz clock speed in my laptop.

kmfv

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011

I wont be able to get thermal paste until after christmas when stores open back up. However I did play for an hour earlier and a few hours later on in the evening and it was stable. Ran smooth. I might step up my cooling but i think maybe just a better airflow case might be good as well.

kmfv

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
just figured i would update. I got a new tower.. the Thor V2 which is a beast might i add. I removed the old thermal paste and put a large pea sized amount like i was told to and everything is running great. I did a stress test for 15 minutes and the hottest it got was 54C which is pretty damn good. thanks for all the input.