250 GB Samsung Evo 840 only 250/243 Seq. Read/Write speeds [ Different User ]

DGVictus

Honorable
May 10, 2012
I saw another thread posted not even an hour ago. I'm having the same issue but using an ASUS Rampage III Extreme motherboard.

Currently I have 2 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black HDDs running on the red ports (Marvel) and the SSD through one of the 6 black ones (Intel). I read that it needed to be in an Intel port to get the full speed? Do I need to switch them around and put the HDDs in the black ports and put the SSD into the red?

In addition. The SSD is showing up in my BIOS as a HDD? My Vertex 2 120GB that I upgraded from did not do this.

Solution

Your SSD needs to be on an Intel 6Gb/s port in order to get full Read/Write speeds.
Your motherboard does not have Intel 6Gb/s ports, it only has Marvell 6Gb/s ports. The Intel ports on your motherboard are 3Gb/s.

Doesn't matter if you connect your HDDs to 3Gb/s ports or 6Gb/s ports. You will get the same Read/Write speeds. No HDD can spin fast enough to achieve 6Gb/s speeds.

robax91

Distinguished
1. Make sure you are using a Sata 6gb cable.
2. Have you updated the firmware on the 840 series? Google it and you'll see it was a common issue.
3. You might try switching the port, but I doubt that will do much.

Also, is this a new drive or used/refurbished. You may need to RMA if your options aren't panning out.

Your SSD needs to be on an Intel 6Gb/s port in order to get full Read/Write speeds.
Your motherboard does not have Intel 6Gb/s ports, it only has Marvell 6Gb/s ports. The Intel ports on your motherboard are 3Gb/s.

Doesn't matter if you connect your HDDs to 3Gb/s ports or 6Gb/s ports. You will get the same Read/Write speeds. No HDD can spin fast enough to achieve 6Gb/s speeds.

Solution

DGVictus

Honorable
May 10, 2012

Drive is brand new. I'm downloading the firmware now. I've switched from the intel 3.0GB/s to Marvel 6.0 and the read speed went up 100~mb/s

DGVictus

Honorable
May 10, 2012

I switched the ports around for each and ended up using Win7 software to re-make the RAID 0 config for the HDDs. The SSD switched to Marvel 6.0GB/s increased the read speed. I'm trying user Robax91's suggestion of updating the firmware for it to see if anything happens.

Why can't the Marvel 6.0GB/s ports give me full speed? Seems silly.

The Marvell SE9128 SATA controller has a bandwidth of PCIe x1 at 5GB/s (500MB/s).
It was designed when 1st generation consumer-grade SSDs were released in 2008. It can't handle the speeds of current generation SSDs.

DGVictus

Honorable
May 10, 2012

Understood. Not a huge loss for me getting the Samsung though. Once I can land some steady income I'll be upgrading my mobo/cpu and I'll be sure to look for Intel 6.0GB/s ports.

Thank you for your responses!