FX-8350 Overclocking not working at all

ready2racektm

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014
I have been trying to overclock my FX-8350. I keep playing around with the BUS speed, CPU ratio and voltages but when tested through prime95 workers always fail within 10 seconds. I have tried 200 BUS speed and then gone up with the CPU ratio, and also put the BUS speed at 220 and down the ratio. I am looking for about a 4.8 Ghz stable. I even tried to use the Turbo for my motherboard and stress test and workers failed. The stock turbo that comes with the motherboard failed.... Heat has not been a problem for me. I have been playing games with an unstable CPU for a bit because the games don't push the CPU that much. I played start citizen for about 45 minutes and my CPU never hit 40C. On the other hand, I have been experiencing BSOD's in groups and I have come down to the conclusion that "ntoskrnl.exe" is the little ah heck causing it all. I guess I should make another thread for the blue screen, but I mentioned it because it may be a contributor to the overclocking issues.

I bought this computer in early June of this year from ibuypower, and I have upgraded everything except the case, power supply, and HDD.

Specs:
FX-8350
ASUS M5A97 R2.0 motherboard
Corsair h100i liquid cooler
OCZ Technology 600w power supply
ASUS STRIX GTX 970
1tb SATA HDD
Corsair 230t case

Mr_Venbeer

Reputable
May 11, 2014
Try modifying the multiplier and voltage only. I wouldn't play around with anything else, it just makes things more complicated. Don't overdo the overclock because this is a 970 chipset and aren't as good overclocking as the 990FX motherboards.

ready2racektm

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014
I ran it at 218 BUS speed which is the default and the cpu ratio at 21, with auto voltage and when I stress tested the computer it immediately shut down. Then I changed voltage to manual and have it at 1.45 and 1.375. When I stress test it now, it doesn't blue screen but workers stop within seconds. Through core temp its reading that she is running at 4592 Mhz. To fix this problem in general could I just get a better motherboard?

Mr_Venbeer

Reputable
May 11, 2014
You shouldn't be overclocking too much with a 970 chipset board. Wouldn't go above 4.5 Ghz.
Go into your BIOS and reset everything and save changes. Modify your CPU speed multiplier and put it to what ever fits 4.5 Ghz. Then, manually set your voltage to around 1.44 volts.
Getting a new motherboard is an option if you really need that overclock. I would get an ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer, or ASUS Sabertooth 990FX, or ASUS Formula Z/V. They are amazing overclockers. The Formula is mainly for SLI/Crossfire configurations so it may be a bit more expensive.

Minty649

Reputable
Jul 25, 2014

I don't have that motherboard and it really helped me

slyu9213

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
there is a guide to overclocking Vishera and bulldozer CPUs at OCN. It's tailored straight for ASus mobos like Sabertooth, crosshair, m5a series etc. I honestly suggest you don't use any auto features when OCing. Turn off all power saving options in the bios and change voltage manually. Unless you have a really bad chip you should be able to hit 4.8GHz but it could take around 1.5v or more. Also keep turbo boost off untill you find a stable OC