FX-6300 with stock cooler heats up to 55 C under 100% usage, and hangs. Upgrade cooler?

rambose

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014
FX-6300, stock CPU cooler, Asus M5A97 desktop: With CPU usage sustained at or near 100%, the CPU temp goes up to about 55 C, at which point the OS hangs; resumes normally after rebooting. Ambient temp about 80 F (27 C), and the same thing happens if I open the case and point a floor fan at it. CPU temp under "normal" loads about 35 to 40 C.

Is it normal for the FX-6300 with a stock cooler to heat up to 55 C under 100% usage? and stop working at that point (55 C is within operational range)? Is it possible that the CPU was damaged previously from overheating, so now works okay at low temps but not at high temps? Is the CPU near death? Is it a feature of this CPU, that it shuts down so it doesn't fry itself (once it hangs, it cools off)? My tentative plan is to upgrade the CPU cooler, but I'd like to know if that is the right thing, and whether I'm going to have to replace the CPU. Thanks.

Solution
The 6300 will run upto 80c before thermal shutdown cuts in.
Your problems don't look temp related if those temps are reading correct.
Try checking the thermal margins with amd overdrive rather tham relying on external monitoring apps.

http://download.amd.com/Desktop/aod_setup_4.3.1.0698.exe

Cpu tab - thermal margins shows how much room is left in the chip before it throttles to cut temps down.

Is this occurence in gaming or just under prime stress testing?

What PSU are you using ?? Bad 12v voltage regulation can cause problems like this.

slyu9213

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
55C doesn't sound too hot for an FX 6300. What does sound weird is that the PC is hanging at only 55C through 100% load. The more the CPU load is stressing the hotter the CPU temps will be. Getting a aftermarket will always help with temps. Even if that doesn't solve your hanging issue right away at least you'll have a cool CPU.

I've read people suggesting you should try to keep temps below 60C. Your temps are below that so temps don't seem bad. There are people who run the same CPU at higher temps and it doesn't hang. I'm wondering if something else is the culprit like a unstable RAM stick/arrangement, unstable voltage for CPU, etc. I understand you're using the stock cooler but are you overclocking the CPU at all?

rambose

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014

No, not overclocking. At about 55C, it seems the CPU starts getting flaky, CPU usage drops; it stops using power and stops heating up. At that point, the temperature comes back down, but it's already crashed at that point.

So now I know: its normal to get up to 55 and beyond, not normal for the CPU to quit at that point. My guess is that the CPU is not up to snuff, and keeping it cool may keep it working. But I will look into swapping the memory...

Thanks!

The 6300 will run upto 80c before thermal shutdown cuts in.
Your problems don't look temp related if those temps are reading correct.
Try checking the thermal margins with amd overdrive rather tham relying on external monitoring apps.

http://download.amd.com/Desktop/aod_setup_4.3.1.0698.exe

Cpu tab - thermal margins shows how much room is left in the chip before it throttles to cut temps down.

Is this occurence in gaming or just under prime stress testing?

What PSU are you using ?? Bad 12v voltage regulation can cause problems like this.

Solution

slyu9213

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
I agree with madmatt30. This happened at everypoint where a computer I had a okay or weak PSU was upgraded to a significantly powerful set of components or I began OCing a bunch. Unless the temps are being read wrong (bad sensor) I don't think it's an temperature issue like I said previously.