R9 270, FX 4130 Terrible fps drops and video stutter help

primatexd

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014
Hi all,

I have recently built my computer, but I have been encountering some issues.

The main issue is that I am not able to play games without getting constant fps drops every few second, to the point that it is just unplayable. Even games such as Unturned, which has similar graphics to minecraft.

Also, don't know if it helps, but for a long time, I could not watch videos on sites such as youtube, without the video always freezing, but I am able to watch videos on sites such as liveleak fine.

My current setup is:

GPU: 2 x R9 270s w/ Crossfire
CPU: FX 4130
ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 Motherboard

Thanks.

Edit:
Could the CPU be bottlenecking the GPUs?

I tried running afterburner while playing Grid 2 (lowest settings) and found that the gpu usage is 30%, while all 4 of the CPU is running 100%. After taking out one of the 290 I noticed that the game is smoother with cpu usage around 80-90 and gpu is around 60%. But the lag spikes is worse in CSGO.

I am thinking of upgrading to a FX - 8350 CPU.

Solution
YES the cpu is bottlenecking those GPU... Crossfire requires massive amounts of raw cpu power... The youtube thing seems like a browser / flash related problem (entirely different issue)...Overclock the hell out of that CPU and wack a cheap cooler on it, Problems will be solved (as far as games are concerned)

FX - 8350 will also need to be overclocked... It will be better but just make sure you're MOBO will allow you to overclock first, otherwise depending on you're funds it might be better to upgrade MOBO to overclock you're current CPU, im not too familiar with AMD cpu's so im not sure how much you can squeeze out of that FX 4130 but i am sure it will hold 2x 270's back

bishopi5

Distinguished
YES the cpu is bottlenecking those GPU... Crossfire requires massive amounts of raw cpu power... The youtube thing seems like a browser / flash related problem (entirely different issue)...Overclock the hell out of that CPU and wack a cheap cooler on it, Problems will be solved (as far as games are concerned)

FX - 8350 will also need to be overclocked... It will be better but just make sure you're MOBO will allow you to overclock first, otherwise depending on you're funds it might be better to upgrade MOBO to overclock you're current CPU, im not too familiar with AMD cpu's so im not sure how much you can squeeze out of that FX 4130 but i am sure it will hold 2x 270's back

Solution