FX-8320 running as FX-6300

Mr_Venbeer

Reputable
May 11, 2014
Hi,
1. I have an FX-8320 and I was wondering if by disabling 2 cores, and having 6 active, will it be basically an FX-6300? If yes, will I be able to overclock further as if I had that FX-6300?
2. I have an ASRock 970 Pro3 Rev2.0 and I can get up to 3.8 Ghz, and I can probably get to 4.0 Ghz as well but I have tried it by using X-Boost and my PC shut off during a CPU stress test. I have a Deepcool Gammaxx 300 cooler and my temps never go above 50 C under load at stock clocks.
3. By running on 6 cores will I be able to overclock further than this? If yes, will it run faster than with the 8 cores at stock?

Solution
Yes, the FX-6300 has the same cache as the FX-8350 when 2 cores are shut off and should be identical when the clock speed is the same. You may get higher OCs with the 6 core, assuming one of the 6 cores isn't the weak one.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, the FX-6300 has the same cache as the FX-8350 when 2 cores are shut off and should be identical when the clock speed is the same. You may get higher OCs with the 6 core, assuming one of the 6 cores isn't the weak one.

Solution

iron8orn

Admirable
x boost and any other auto overclocking is kinda garbage.. just do it the old fashion way.

you will probably be able to get a little higher with a module disabled but your motherboards 4+1 phase is not good for overclocking and will easily limit you.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

If your MB BIOS allows disabling 2 cores (1 module) there's no problem. I do something similar when testing Phenom II X4 processors. I disable 1 or 2 cores and reduce clock speed to turn them into other versions of the Phenom II for benchmarking.

Mr_Venbeer

Reputable
May 11, 2014
If your MB BIOS allows disabling 2 cores (1 module) there's no problem. I do something similar when testing Phenom II X4 processors. I disable 1 or 2 cores and reduce clock speed to turn them into other versions of the Phenom II for benchmarking.

Alright thanks man, I'll give it a shot later on.

x boost and any other auto overclocking is kinda garbage.. just do it the old fashion way.

you will probably be able to get a little higher with a module disabled but your motherboards 4+1 phase is not good for overclocking and will easily limit you.

I am aware of that. The ASRock Extreme3 which is the same board, just has heatsink on the VRM's, can the an 8320 up to 4.0 Ghz easily. I would just buy separate heatsinks and put them on my VRM's or stick small fans on top. And yes I do agree that X-Boost is garbage. It had my voltage running at like 1.5 while under full load :/

Mr_Venbeer

Reputable
May 11, 2014
Managed to get my CPU to 4.0 Ghz and ran Prime95 for about 15 minutes and worked perfectly. Haven't tried 4.2 GHz yet. Though after playing a few games I did not see a boost in performance. I have reset my BIOS back to 8 cores at 3.5 Ghz.

iron8orn

Admirable
pretty sure minecraft runs on 1 core.. the sad fact is as im sure the conclusion your coming to is that in a lot of games a i3 will do better.. even in a lot of multi-core games benchmarks show the i3 about the same as a 8350 or better.. there is a few exceptions but there is nothing for you to upgrade to from where your at.
I have a 6350 and a i5.. the 6350 was the first gaming pc i put together and a game i really liked playing was was not so great so i overclocked it to 4.6ghz and there was little difference. now it just sits at 4ghz as a htpc most the time.. neverwinter plays pretty good on it and blacklight retribution stays at 60fps until there is rain..
intel just makes a much better gaming cpu and really is not even a bad idea to start out with a i3 if you got limited funds.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

GPU limited games are those that depend heavily on the gfx card and not so much on the CPU. Games that most any semi-capable CPU will do as good at as a top of the line CPU when matched with a good card.

Mr_Venbeer

Reputable
May 11, 2014
+iron8orn, sorry buddy but I really don't give 10 shits about Intel. I tested minecraft with Optifine which allows multi-core rendering, also maxed out my GPU usage by using shaders mod.

I don't know why you would post something about Intel in a completely AMD based thread, that just doesn't make sense.

iron8orn

Admirable
well.. you do not seem so happy with the performance as like every day there is gamers everyday switching to intel..

hell i dont really like either much but just a fact if you want a high performance gaming cpu intel has what you need and upgrade ability.. just the american way i guess

Mr_Venbeer

Reputable
May 11, 2014
Well I will be switching to Intel too next year but that is completely besides the point. I just don't get why you post something about an i3 when this thread is about an FX8320 running on 6 cores rather than 8. And no I'm not switching to an i5 because that's stupid I'm downgrading the extra cores that I actually need and use. Either a Xeon or i7 will be in my future build hopefully.
I'm not even a full on gamer anymore so I don't need a completely gaming manufactured CPU.
Before I bought the parts I was going to get an i5-4570, but I'm in Australia so my budget was too low and could not afford it. That's why I ended up getting this CPU which I don't regret, a shitty motherboard, and the worst PC case ever.
I also didn't know much about computers but still managed to buy something I'm satisfied with for now.

And +iron8orn, I am happy with the performance. I was only wondering if it will be better to run off 6 cores and overclock the CPU since most games use 2-4 cores.

iron8orn

Admirable
well it can do a lot of things on par with i7 or just bellow but gaming is not one of them..

you could get a new motherboard and try take it to 5ghz but what it really comes down to is beyond clock rate and into architecture