100$ gaming/music headset, do I need an upgraded sound card?

Dec 21, 2013
Just as the title suggest, I am going to get an 100$ gaming/music headset, Do I need upgraded sound card? My (sound card) is the stock sound chip on the ASUS Z-87 A Motherboard. I guess really what I'm asking is, to utilize a a moderately expensive headset for gaming and music to it's full extent should I purchase a an external sound card to get the fullest out of the headset? Thanks.

Solution
Headsets that claim 7.1 stereo really just emulate it. If you want, you can do the same thing with your motherboard's sound card. If you have the driver's installed, there should be an option in the driver's control panel to turn on "DTS" or "Dolby Virtual Surround". 7.1 is really just a marketing gimmick as most people can already emulate it if needed.

"now I do have to admit I will be using them more for gaming rather music."

On a whole, the ATH-M50s will handle both good but it does have some specific weaknesses. They aren't the best at classical (although certainly better than any gaming headset by far) and they can be a bit uncomfortable after a very long gaming session (Talking 3+ hours). You can buy earpads that fix this...
You will see a larger gain from upgrading your headphones first. A sound card can some later, it isn't really needed in this price range.

Although it's a bit out of your budget, I would recommend the audio technica ATH-M50s (make sure they are the "S" version)

Get them used for around $100 (amazon) or even less if you bid on ebay. I recommend used because usually there is a burn in period and it saves the hassle. In addition, if you want a microphone to go along with them you can either buy a mod mic (an microphone that attaches to any headset) or a clip on mic (you can get them for around $5).

If you don't like the look of the ATH-M50s, there are a few similar cans I can list if you want me to.

Dec 21, 2013

Awesome those don't seem to be to out of my price range, now I do have to admit I will be using them more for gaming rather music. Does this differ your answer? I know there are hocus pocus adds out there about 7.1 stereo gaming headsets... does this equal in that "category"

Headsets that claim 7.1 stereo really just emulate it. If you want, you can do the same thing with your motherboard's sound card. If you have the driver's installed, there should be an option in the driver's control panel to turn on "DTS" or "Dolby Virtual Surround". 7.1 is really just a marketing gimmick as most people can already emulate it if needed.

"now I do have to admit I will be using them more for gaming rather music."

On a whole, the ATH-M50s will handle both good but it does have some specific weaknesses. They aren't the best at classical (although certainly better than any gaming headset by far) and they can be a bit uncomfortable after a very long gaming session (Talking 3+ hours). You can buy earpads that fix this although it ins't a huge issue, more like a minor flaw.

I don't know if I mentioned this but there are many fakes of these headphones due to their value to sound ratio. Make sure that you buy from reputable source. If you have any doubts about the cans you receive, you can tell them apart by comparing them to real ones. There are actually many articles around with high res pictures just for that purpose so all you need to do is google "ATH-M50 Fakes".

Solution
Not at all. Most gaming headsets aren't very good. Many will have a built in sound card made specifically to emphasize gaming but otherwise they would sound like trash and would be unable to use your computer's sound card, should you decide to get one in the future.

There are plenty of "non-gaming" headphones that will sound better in games and music that will also be cheaper. The only problem is that you have to find a microphone. It's actually nice because you can choose between a wide variety of microphones in a wide variety of styles, if you do need a microphone.