New FX 6300 cpu wont work

Sting2244

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014
Hi so i have a M4A88t-V EVO/USB3 mother board and it says AM3 ready on the box but it is a old mother board, will the FX 6300 cpu work in this? or do i have to get a new one? thank you!

Solution

NOT listed on the supported CPU page...

Sting2244

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014

wow i wish i could of found this page earlier would u be able to reccommend a new motherboard to get? and would i need a new power supply too?

The Asus M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 motherboard is Socket AM3 and it was not made to support AM3+ FX CPUs, but it's TDP and cooling characteristics are good enough to support them after a BIOS update... you will have to update and see if the FX-6300 works. Chances seem good.

Support:
AMD AM3 Phenom™ II/Athlon™ II/Sempron™ 100 Series Processors
Supports AM3 45 nm CPU
Supports CPU up to 140 W
AMD Cool 'n' Quiet™ Technology

Sting2244

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014

What does that mean? can i still keep this motherboard and use the cpu? whats a bios update?

BIOS update is renewing the CMOS BIOS chip software... download the BIOS update installer from the motherboard model downloads.. you have to input your Windows version, 32 or 64 bit and from the results select to download the "BIOS (5)" update.. the download should include instructions to update the BIOS chip software.

You will have to do the download from another computer or better with the old CPU on the M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 motherboard, and after you've updated the BIOS, change the CPU and see if it boots.. it's likely to. Any questions?

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A88TV_EVOUSB3/HelpDesk_Download/

EDIT: The BIOS update may or not work, depends on the BIOS update version and also on the socket color.. with a white socket chances are poor, with a black socket chances are very good.

Yes it should... but read what I edited just now... the BIOS update may or not provide support. It may depend on the available BIOS version and socket color. Black sockets were meant to support FX CPU with or without a BIOS update depending on the date they were manufactured. On white sockets, chances are not so likely but still possible, so try updating it... if it works fine, you will have saved some cash... and if not, get an AM3+ motherboard.

EDIT:
Here is proof that several Asus M4A89TD Pro/USB3 motherboards.. not the same model but have the white socket and did work with a FX CPU after a BIOS update

https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-New-FX-8350-FX-8320-FULL-support-for-Asus-M4A89TD-Pro-USB3-C-Formula-IV-etc

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED

Most white socket 890FX boards had terrible support for FX cpu's. Even high end boards like the GA-890FXA-UD5. Mostly in the form of terrible vdroop.

The motherboard supports 125W Phenoms, the FX-6300 is 95W... and the BIOS has CPU voltage adjustment... and besides the PSU can cause worse vdrop.. so it's a step by step situation specially if on a budget. It's a $0.00 cost adjustment, so why not try it? At least to decide if he needs to buy a AM3+ motherboard, and/or while it arrives... I'm not suggesting he sticks with that motherboard at all cost... just to try and see. Who knows what may turn out.

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED

The 6300 is only 95 watts at stock. At 4.0 GHz it pulls 125 watts just like a 6350. Most of those older boards don't have LLC bios settings to compensate for the vdroop. Worth a shot though.