r9 270 getting battlenecked by athlon x4 740?

Vdries

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014
i recently bought a new gpu for the rig at my gf's house. but when i play bf4 the cpu gets 100% used and the gpu stays at 10 to 20% of use.

is the card being bottlenecked? if so what are your thought which cpu i should upgrade?
is the AMD AMD A10-7850K worth it or should i upgrade the mobo to?

Solution

Wrong, i have an i3 system with an r9 270x. My friend has a fx 6100 at stock clocks with a 7870 near my mhz(r9 270x is a bit better than a 7870). Our fps are within...

Vdries

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014

because its the rig at my gf's house. i just wanted to know if it is worth it that i buy the amd a10-7850.
i dont really want to upgrade the mobo to.

Vdries

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014

which one would you suggenst then? i never really looked at intel cause of the price :p
would a low i5 be enough for a while?

Vdries

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014

You're right, it just suck that I have the fm2+ mobo And to upgrade for an Intel mobo :/

cmi86

Distinguished
Yes, even a low end locked i5 will be a lot faster than the 740. Pair it with a cheap H97 board for compatibility with intels next generation of "broadwell" cpu's and you have a good upgrade path when the time comes.

coops1

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
I'm surprised at the amount of bottleneck you are showing. And 740 isn't THAT weak and the 270 isn't that great of a GPU :s what res and graphics settings are you playing?http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-4-graphics-card-performance,3634-10.html

This shows CPU usage in online multiplayer... Even low end CPU like 4170 which is probably a bit stronger than yours show playable frames on ultra...

Vdries

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014

is an i3 good for the future?

Vdries

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014

i play at 1080p and tried all the settings and mantle but didn't helped :/

coops1

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
Depends what you want from the i3 - it'll pair up nicely with a 270 and offer a decent upgrade path, but struggles on very high setting of some modern games which are able to take advantage of a lot of cores. - if you want something to last a few years without upgrade, get an i5, if you want something good now with upgrade path, get an i3... If you want something cheap but still capable, get an unlocked athlon and overclock it.

coops1

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
Also, I'm not disputing the bottleneck... Just surpirsed as bf4 isn't particularly demanding in its lower settings- I play 1050p low settings on a 5800k stock igpu and its playable online (just about :p)

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador

Is that so...

Battlefield 4 ASUS GTX 770 DirectCU II AMD x4 860K 8GB RAM -

OP commented: " Compared to my Intel i5/GTX 770 i did not notice much of a difference in FPS. I think this is a great bang for your buck combo"

Or just google Athlon X4 860k and you'll find the game is very playable with that CPU.

Your Phenom II X4 955 isn't as powerful as the 860k with four steamroller cores.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador
If you actually read the description and comments you would see the lag is from the screen recorder program.

Also that chart is wrong in a few cases. Considering the 860k competes with the i3 haswell it should be faster than a Phenom X4 955.

Vdries

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014

so in my eyes a new mobo with an i5 would be the cheapest for the future i think. because if i upgrade now to a a10-7850k and buy a new gpu over a couple years again it will be bottlenecked again..

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador
You're relying on benchmarks rather than looking at real world gameplay and experiences. You just said a few posts above

" Athlon LOL and then still have a major bottleneck. FM2+ cannot properly support a GPU the caliber of the R9 270 nor can FM2+ runs any CPU intensive games with performance that most PC gamers consider acceptable ".

When clearly this isn't the case as any 860k owner will tell you.

coops1

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
So you're saying that the hierarchy chart is entirely correct? That's interesting, because my fx 6300 is a tier below those CPUs (same tier as the athlons) and it maxes bf4 with ease. I think you have a fair few of your facts mixed up, but let's not hijack the thread too much.

Op, I would say you'd be best off with an i5 if you can afford it, though you will then be bottlenecked by your GPU on many games haha. An i3 will match up nicely with your GPU, but both GPU and CPU would need to be upgraded in the future it keep competitive. An unlocked athlon over clocked would be the cheapest solution to your bottleneck no matter what others say, but lacks upgradabilityy.

LookItsRain

Distinguished

The 860k is the best option for fm2+ and will keep up with i3s in games that use 4 threads. Remember, the 860k is steamroller, not piledriver.

LookItsRain

Distinguished

Wrong, i have an i3 system with an r9 270x. My friend has a fx 6100 at stock clocks with a 7870 near my mhz(r9 270x is a bit better than a 7870). Our fps are within 10% in all of our games, including minimum frames, with titles that range from Arma II to shadow of mordor(we family share steam libraries). The amount of misinformation and fanboyism you keep posting needs to stop.

AMD will not suffer bottlenecks in most games until you get into highend cards, such as a 780, 290 or above.
Even with sli gtx 770, the fps difference is pretty much not noticeable or hitting vsync anyways, but bioshock for some reason.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/697?vs=1261

Solution

coops1

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
I'd agree, the pentium is an awesome CPU for the money, BUT the OP would have to swap his motherboard to use a pentium (you can't drop an intel CPU into an fm2+ socket). This would decrease the value proposition of a pentium significantly. However, a 750k/760k/860k could be dropped in and overclocked, giving performance almost at i3 level for a fraction of the price of changing to i3 or pentium. Hence my recommendation of the OP buying an athlon II if on a tight budget, as we both now agree that it gives performance almost as god as an i3. Obviosuly an i3 will both perform better and is