1600$ build, need help reviewing components

rentakelplakband

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014
This is my first build and was wondering is someone experienced could give me some feedback.
Any suggestions, corrections are welcome!
pcpartpicker: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FdqM23

plaintext:
CPU: i7 4790k
CPU cooler: be quiet! dark rock
mobo: ASRock Z97 EXTREME6
memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB
storage:
* Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
* Seagate Barracuda 2TB
* Seagate Barracuda 2TB
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB
case: corsair graphite 780T
PSU: Seasonic X-650 or EVGA SuperNOVA 750.
In the long run I'm planning a SLI configuration. But in the meanwhile isn't 750 watt overkill for my build?

Solution
The build is really solid! The i7 is a beast and I don't even have to tell you about the 970. I would recommend one of the best z97 1150 boards imo the Maximus VIII Hero! Or ranger! The boards are extremely good for overclocking and everything else. That is the only thing.750 watts is a beautiful sweet spot! You can never have too much quality and power in PSU (you technically can). Gpus etc are getting more efficient but if you are planning to upgrade to sli and even x99 in the future. 750 is great

Rafi Khan

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013
Firstly, do you really care how much you spend or no? If you do and your main objective is gaming... then ALOT of money can be saved. It would help if you can describe your main usage before I make any recommendations that may be against your usage interests.

Thanks!

Rafi Khan

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013
Howabout going with a more renowned brand for motherboards? I have nothing against ASRock but I myself am about to purchase a motherboard and my primary concern is to get a brand that will stand by their warranty no matter what. In this MSI is number one, they are known to have the best RMA and Customer service, ASUS is second they have terrible RMA (so why are they second) but if you are careful and take pictures and document all the problems clearly they WILL fix your board if there is a problem. Gigabyte also has horrible RMA. I don't know too much about ASRock but apparently they are starting to improve their RMA and CS.

Thanks!

Rafi Khan

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013
My bad you chose a fantastic motherboard that will be hard to beat. My only suggestion is to call ASRock and have a lengthy conversation regarding what is covered by their warranty. I did this with ASUS today (almost 2 hours) and got everything sorted out and on paper (it was a live online chat) so that if they try to mess with me I can show proof to them that they themselves assured that the only time where I would not be covered is, I quote "when the cpu pins are bent". You can easily straighten CPU pins (with patience) and continue using it without any problems
Thanks!

jty0yt

Reputable
Sep 3, 2014
The build is really solid! The i7 is a beast and I don't even have to tell you about the 970. I would recommend one of the best z97 1150 boards imo the Maximus VIII Hero! Or ranger! The boards are extremely good for overclocking and everything else. That is the only thing.750 watts is a beautiful sweet spot! You can never have too much quality and power in PSU (you technically can). Gpus etc are getting more efficient but if you are planning to upgrade to sli and even x99 in the future. 750 is great

rentakelplakband

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014

I've checked out the Maximus VIII Hero a while ago, but it seemed overkill especially with the optional water cooling. Why do you prefer the Maximus VIII Hero over the ASRock extreme6

jty0yt

Reputable
Sep 3, 2014

Solution