R9 290 GPU usage at 100% when Idle. Overheating.

kozy2013

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014
Background Info:

I just purchased a used R9 290 off of ebay. The seller said it is working perfectly in the description. However, buying it used i suspect it may have been used for mining. Knowing this I thought I'd buy it anyways in case it turned out to be a good card.

Here is a link to the exact card that I have: http://www.powercolor.com/us/products_features.asp?id=493

The Problem:

Whenever i boot up my computer, the card is usually fine for a bit. But after a while, even if im idle, the GPU usage will rise up to 100% and it would over-heat if i didn't have fan settings. So even if im not using my computer at all, not running any programs, the card usage will reach 100% and stay there, the fans will go up to about 80% and the temp will hover around 66 degrees celcius. Sometimes when i start to actually use my computer, my screen will go black for a few seconds and then recover itself. audio never dies but i lose control of the computer for a bit.

I come here to see if there is any possible solution to this. I DO have the latest AMD driver for my card and i monitor my card using Afterburner. Before i installed this card, there were no issues with my old card and using my computer in general. So i know that there isnt a problem with any other hardware or any software causing this.

I hope someone can help me figure out what is wrong, but unfortunately, I think i will be needing to return the card. I suspect it is damaged by mining.

I extremely appreciate any help I can get. Even if the help is just saying that "yeah the card is definitely damaged, return it." It will give me a better sense of direction.

Thanks, Nick

EDIT:
- I would also like to add, that i have reinstalled windows 7 on my computer in hopes that it would solve any software issues, but it did not.
- Can't really play any games either. I usually play low-end games like League of Legends, but even when playing that, I'll get a black screen multiple times and my gpu usage will run at 100%, temps will go up to about 75 degrees celcius even with my fans running at 70-80%

Solution
This card has seen better days, and I suspect you are correct that it was used for mining, and now is worn out. Send it back, and get your cash. Seller should be tossing this, and not putting it on eBay.