HD 7850 OC 1GB stuttering

f4nd4ng0

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014
Hello, I have this problem that every game stutters with this GPU, I know that it only has 1GB GDDR5 but I had geforce gt 630 2gb ddr3 and it did not stutter. I played games like battlefield 4 (lowest settings) with no stutters, now with this gpu fps is high but it stutters a lot to like 1fps for split second. It does not overheat. Why geforce gt 630 was better than this? I do not understand. I have i5 2500 and 4GB of ram. My HDD is very old, like 6-7 years, can that be a factor?

Solution
I'm more worried about your ram usage than your Vram usage there. Good job you've got another 2gb coming. I'm inclined to say wait and see if this extra 2gb helps, as it sounds like it will.

You might also consider budgeting to replace your 6 year old hard drive during 2015, just to be safe
I used to own a powercolor 1gb hd7850 and it would microstutter quite often. I couldn't get rid of it no matter what I tried, from what I've read a lot of the HD7xxx cards have this issue.

My solution was to switch to nvidia, I know that's not much help to you though...

Ok, some questions:

Are you using the latest drivers for your card?
What PSU do you have?
Are you using AMD overdrive to monitor GPU memory usage while gaming?
Are your temperatures ok?
Does the stutter go away if you lower the settings?

You should also consider upgrading to 8gb ram at some point

reset your ccc pannel to default.
also the 2500k is about 4 years old not 6 or 7 also the chips that came after it aint much stronger. maybe 4% per gen so it will keep up with anything the newer chips can play.
as most games dont benefit very much from cpu overclocking.
you should be able to play bf4 on medium and keep 40-60 fps on low it should be 60+

usa an fxaa injector or smaa only for amd msaa just cripples performance as will using post processing and anti aliasing in the games settings use 1 or the other.

I can't see the rating for the +12v rail on that power supply so I can't say whether that PSU is good enough for your 7850 or not.

If it still stutters on lower settings then it's unlikely to be the 1gb VRAM.

Are you running the 7850 at stock settings (no overclock)?
Is your CPU overclocked?

If you haven't done so already can you please adjust the power slider in the catalyst control center and slide it up to max.

f4nd4ng0

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014
I have 36A in total on +12V rail. I haven't overcloked anything in my entire life. To the max? What if my GPU overheats. Well I did use driver cleaner and I tried battlefield 4 again and it stuttered less, maybe only 6 times through the match. Also tried AC Unity and well sometimes its smooth but when it stutters that stutter is like 1fps for 1 second

36A is plenty. upping the power slider to 120% will not damage your card or cause it to overheat, it just gives it more juice when it needs it.

Battlefield has some stutter issues anyway, I don't think that's a great game for testing gpu stutter. And AC unity runs best with 6 or more gb of ram and you've only got 4gb so again, the stutter might not be your graphics card's fault.

tick 'enable graphics overdrive' and it should unlock another slider with -20 at one end and +20 at the other (Power control settings). Slide this slider to +20

Edit: wait, it's changed since I last used AMD. It's that box that says 'power limit settings', just up it by 20%

Do you have MSI afterburner installed with overlay?
You can keep a check on vram usage with this.
With a 1gb card you'll still be able to play all new titles but textures need to be medium settings max (low on some titles) - running out of vram can cause exactly the kind of stutters you're talking about.