Using R9 290+ R9 290x cards from different manufacturers in Crossfire?

Xickle

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013
Would it be possible to run a configuration with a R9 290 XFX Core edition and a R9 290x Gigabyte Windforce 3?

I currently have two same 290 XFX's in my system, but I am thinking about upgrading the main card to a 290x.

The reason is that some games don't support Crossfire, so I'd get the 290x power on those games, and the power of two 290 cards on games who support crossfire. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Solution
The difference between the 2 cards is only 5-7% at stock settings and they both top out at the same overclock frequencies most of the time. If you think spending $300-400 to get a few more frames is worth it then go for it, but I think it is a HUGE waste of money when you can get the same performance for free and still stay within 5-7%. Your choice, but your new 290x may not even be able to hit the clocks your 290's hit. It's all luck of the draw....

Xickle

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013

But in games who don't support crossfire, the 2nd card is seemingly disabled, wouldn't that allow the main card to increase it's performance to it's normal 290x level?

But by overclocking the 290x I might reach new heights :p

The difference between the 2 cards is only 5-7% at stock settings and they both top out at the same overclock frequencies most of the time. If you think spending $300-400 to get a few more frames is worth it then go for it, but I think it is a HUGE waste of money when you can get the same performance for free and still stay within 5-7%. Your choice, but your new 290x may not even be able to hit the clocks your 290's hit. It's all luck of the draw....

Solution