i5 4460 or wait for broadwell

Solution
CPU is not like GPU where waiting for a new gen or even new model can mean night and day for the money spent, the growth of CPU power has been slow for the past several generations.

Even if Skylake suddenly doubles in performance compared to Haswell (unlikely to happen, but for the sake of argument), not many games are actually bottlenecked by CPU, hence the improvements you will get going to the hypothetical skylake is still going to be minimal.

I'd say, if you are going to upgrade your CPU, now is as good as any.

stomp53

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014

I have ASUS H81M-C /1150, will it work with 5 generation cpus ?

It's not even clear if there will be a broadwell for the 1150, the only broadwell for desktops may be for the 2011 and for the haswell-e (i7's) as broadwell-e. I5's may skip to skylake which is a new socket. Seems between intel's bumpy 19nm die shrink issues and multitudes of speculation, no one knows what's going on. What matters is what exists, not what might. I wouldn't hold my breath on 5th gen i5's or i7's, since broadwell got pushed back to skylake's release date and skylake is still getting released (intel wanted to skip broadwell all together) it may go straight to 6th gen on a new socket/chipset.

chenw

Honorable
CPU is not like GPU where waiting for a new gen or even new model can mean night and day for the money spent, the growth of CPU power has been slow for the past several generations.

Even if Skylake suddenly doubles in performance compared to Haswell (unlikely to happen, but for the sake of argument), not many games are actually bottlenecked by CPU, hence the improvements you will get going to the hypothetical skylake is still going to be minimal.

I'd say, if you are going to upgrade your CPU, now is as good as any.

Solution