Is my i5-760 Lynnfield holding back my system?

Mas3nk0

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
I am considering an upgrade from my ASUS P55DLE with i5-760 Lynnfield to an ASUS H97 PLUS with i5-4670 Hasswell. Reason being that my graphics card R9 280X does not seem to be able to play modern titles at high quality setting in 1080p so my assumption is that it is being held back by the older processor.

I wanted to ask the community if this could indeed be correct and if there was any way to confirm this? (Checking taskbar the processor looks to be at its limit during applications such as games).

Thanks in advance for possible feedback.

It could indeed be holding the 280x back in some games, it's not a bad processor at all but in cpu heavy sections of games it will struggle to keep up.

You can confirm the bottleneck yourself using MSI afterburner, rivatuner and HWinfo64 if you like. Set up on screen display for CPU usage, GPU usage and RAM usage and see how each of them are performing while you play

Mas3nk0

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
I knew you could use MSI afterburner for GPU usage but didn't know it also works for CPU usage. I ll give it a try when I get home.

Recent games that struggled were COD AW/Watchdogs (although bad port)/Shadows of Mordor/Latest Assassins Creeds.

If you already have afterburner's OSD enabled it's easy. To show CPU usage you need to have HWinfo64 running (sensors only) at the same time as afterburner, go into the settings in HWinfo and for the CPU settings you want to display tick the 'show in rivatuner' box

I assume you have at least 6gb of ram?