Looking for 1,000$ gaming laptop Intel and Nvidia

nVidea

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
My friend has a budget of 1,000 USD
And he wants it for gaming, animation, video editing. But he's from US, and I'm from Asia. What specific brand, model should I tell him?

What I suggested him is i7 and Nvidia 780m, and Asus. but there are like hundreds of Asus gaming laptops.

Please give link on online shops like ebay, etc...

He said he'll buy Lenovo Y50.

Neither Asus or Lenovo actually "make" a laptop.

Quanta sells to (among others) HP, Lenovo, Apple, Acer, Toshiba, Dell, Sony, Fujitsu and NEC
Compal sells to (among others) Acer, Dell, Toshiba, Lenovo and HP/Compaq
Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to Dell, Acer, Lenovo and HP
Inventec sells to Toshiba, HP and Lenovo
Pegatron sells to Asus, Toshiba, Apple, Dell and Acer
Foxconn sells to Asus, Dell, HP and Apple
Flextronics (former Arima Computer Corporation notebook division) sells to HP

For the last 8 years I been buying Clevo laptops exclusively ..... Alienware before Dell bought them sold Clevo laptops. WidowPC, FalconNorthwest and all the expensive boutique shops sell Clevo laptops.... buying direct from Clevo will however save you 1/3 of the cost and every unit is custom build to your specifications

Last few years, we've been buying from LPC Digital. His budget is a bit tight for both editing and gaming .,,, for what he wants, I'd try to get to $1200

http://www.lpc-digital.com/sager-np6658.html
15.6” Full HD 16:9 (1920x1080) Clear Wide Viewing Angle Gloss type Display
4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4710MQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.50 GHz)
NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 850M
16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 2 X 8GB (+$90)
750GB 7200rpm SATA 300 Hard Drive
NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 850M 2GB GDDR3 with Optimus® Technology
8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software
Internal 802.11 B+G+N Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Combo Module

$1,009 shipped (before applicable discounts)

The 860M runs about $100 more

http://www.lpc-digital.com/sager-np8268.html

15.6” Full HD 16:9 (1920x1080) Clear Wide Viewing Angle Gloss type Display
4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4710MQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.50 GHz)
1 TB HGST Travelstar™ 7K1000 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s Hard Drive - FREE UPGRADE SPECIAL!
NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 850M 2GB GDDR3 with Optimus® Technology
16GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz - 2 X 8GB - Special Price ($+40)
8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software
Internal 802.11 B+G+N Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Combo Module

$1,219 shipped (before applicable discounts)

Again, Asus doesn't make a single laptop. Asus is buying their laptops from the same people who Toshiba, Apple, Dell, Acer, HP and Apple buy from.

And though I used Asus MoBos / GFX cards / Opticals almost exclusively from 2002 to 2012, from 2013 to date quality has been going downhill based not only by my own experiences but others. Look at newegg reviews and compare X79 versus X99 ... look at Z87 versus Z97 ... the number of negative reviews (1 or 2 eggs) has increased by 50 - 80% over this time period.

Asus M7F - 42% negative reviews
Asus Z97 WS - 38% negative reviews
Asus Z7 WS - 40% negative reviews
Asus X99 WS - 38% negative reviews
Asus X99 Rampage V - 36% negative reviews
Asus X99Deluxe - 41% negative reviews

Things change... the NY Giants won the Superbowl in 2012 and Asus was on the top of the world.... today, neither one is looking good at all. We could argue that a lot of the comments are sour grapes and haters but why such a massive increase from X79 => X99 / Z87 => Z97 ....

As for Clevo ....

http://www.notebookreview.com/news/clevo-guide/

CLEVO is a large Taiwanese computer company specializing in laptops. While the Clevo brand name is perhaps not widely known, their products are re-branded and sold by known boutique brand OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturers)… notably Alienware, Sager, VoodooPC, Falcon Northwest, etc.

They are also considered (by whoever knows about notebooks) to design and manufacturer the best of the best notebooks in terms of superior build quality and innovative designs.

Established in 1983, as an ODM (Original Design Manufacturer), they sell barebones ranging from laptop to portable computing solutions for both AMD and Intel processors. Clevo is one of the world’s most preferred ODM partners and markets their products in more than 50 countries, and have established service centers in the USA, Germany, Britain, China, and Taiwan. Their main notebook range includes:

From Anadtech reviews...

The ability to pick your components, from the exact display panel to the manufacturer of the hard drive, is pretty awesome. You don’t get anywhere near that level of control with the bigger companies; it’s much nicer to be able to choose and select the parts that go into your notebook instead of playing the component lottery game with Dell and ASUS

The one thing ya gotta say about Clevo tho is they are built on a standard chassis so as t be customizable and provide cooling that far exceeds MSI or Asus alternatives (see anadtech reviews) but don't expect revolutionary or innovative "eye catching" chassis designs..... their approach is strictly from over function.

Warranty is selectable.... you choose how many years ya want.

eltouristo

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006

You say you were buying direct from Clevo for 1/3 less, but you give no link, and give no
clue how you bought that way. Then you said you buy from LPC Digital, which sells laptops for about the same prices as everyone else. Can you tell us how to buy from Clevo direct? Thanks.

Coltor

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013

Just under $1000 (said no tax for me in WA), my friend just got one of these for college and he loves it:
$997 Amazon Lenovo Y700, i7 6700HQ, 16GB DDR4, 960m, 256GB SSD + 1TB, IPS display

Best laptop for the money I've seen except for this Acer that went on sale for ~$400 for one day.

TDHBP_Messed

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015

MSI Stealth Pro http://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-1tb-hard-drive-128gb-solid-state-drive-aluminum-black/5515003.p?skuId=5515003
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
15.6" full HD display
CPU: 6th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ mobile processor
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 graphics
RAM: 16GB
Hard Drive: 1TB hard drive and 128GB solid state drive (SSD)
4 USB 3.0 ports
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah it's a great laptop, it comes with a cool colorful LED keyboard!

EDIT: I know it is more expensive than what he wants but it's still so good!