FX-8310 vs FX-6350

ribpeal

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015
I'm deciding against the FX-4350, my previous choice of CPU. Now, I can't decide between the FX-8310 (3.4GHz, 8-cores) or the FX-6350 (3.9GHz, 6-cores). Help?

Solution
Please refrain from turning this into an AMD bashing thread. Between the 6350 and the 8310, you'll likely get better performance from the 6350. Why? The base, full frequency each runs at. Most of the tasks you are going to perform, and many of the games you will play, will not come anywhere near utilizing the 8 integer cores of the 8310. Even if they did, the speed difference between the two more than makes up the difference. The differences are, 2 integer cores and one split-able floating point unit, vs 500 MHz more clock speed under full load. While both chips can enter a turbo state, I wouldn't bet on either one using turbo more than the other. The 8310 will probably run near the temperature of the 6350 due to the lower clocks...
Please refrain from turning this into an AMD bashing thread. Between the 6350 and the 8310, you'll likely get better performance from the 6350. Why? The base, full frequency each runs at. Most of the tasks you are going to perform, and many of the games you will play, will not come anywhere near utilizing the 8 integer cores of the 8310. Even if they did, the speed difference between the two more than makes up the difference. The differences are, 2 integer cores and one split-able floating point unit, vs 500 MHz more clock speed under full load. While both chips can enter a turbo state, I wouldn't bet on either one using turbo more than the other. The 8310 will probably run near the temperature of the 6350 due to the lower clocks, despite the extra cores, but will it turbo to a point any of the cores will perform on par with the 6350 cores? Probably not. I would only recommend the 8310 if you knew you were going to be using those few extra resources. Under common usage, the extra clock speed will benefit you more.

Solution

I'm an AMD guy, myself. The i5 is clearly the winner here. Why? Because you can use a much cheaper motherboard and stock cooling solution with an i5-4460 and it will still be faster than the FX-8 core at max overclock with expensive cooling and hearty motherboard.

What's your budget? I'll prove it.

galactigus

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014

Doesn't help him if he already has the board though it wasn't made clear.

True. He might already have a CHV and an H110, lol.