2010 Alienware Aurora GPU improtant info needed!

DamianSicks

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015
I have a 2010 Alienware Aurora and it has been on top of its game up until very recently. It came equipped with (2) Nvidia GTX 460 cards in SLI. I have been having performance issues with some newer games and graphic hungry apps only up until the "next gen" stuff that the PS4's and XBox One's port over to PC's. I have been out of the hardware loop for awhile with this kind of stuff so I apologize for this. Would purchasing just 1 Newer, better, more powerful GPU card work better for me or is it still needed that I have to purchase 2 cards and put them in SLI in order to achieve superior performance over the Dual GTX 460's already installed? My rig has an i7 CPU and the rest of the hardware is still pretty good for most tasks but I really need to know If Im forced to but 2 cards for SLI. I would prefer to save money but please just be honest so that I can keep this Alienware kicking for a bit longer (2010-2015 is already a great accomplishment for a Gaming PC)

Thanks in advance for any help and I welcome any suggestions as to which cards(s) to buy

Solution

Exactly. A single 970 will be a LOT faster than your dual 460s.

DamianSicks

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015

the i7 is a 920 @2.67Ghz and is liquid cooled so it may be able to be overclocked a bit. As for budget I seen some GTX 750, 760, 770 single cards going all for $300 and under so will a single card outperform my dual GTX 460's and save me some money with having to buy 2 new cards because of my SLI Mobo?

DamianSicks

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015

so just to be clear that is just 1 -GTX 970 and not 2 cards for the SLI right?

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Exactly. A single 970 will be a LOT faster than your dual 460s.

Solution