i5-650 vs i7-870

jactfreak

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
Hi, pc specs
i5-650 3.2ghz clocked to 3.98ghz
8gig ram ddr3 1333mhz
gtx 650 1gig

seems like there is a bottleneck some where. games like Arma 3 runs the same FPS (30) on low setting as on ultra/high.
so im thinking of getting a i7-870.

my question is, is it going to solve the bottleneck, or will the i7 give just a bit more fps?

sry im a noob!

kind regards
JACT

Solution
The i7 would help for games that are CPU heavy and have good multithreading support, eg, Battlefield 4 or Crysis 3. Arma is not one of those games, it is CPU heavy but it relies heavily on single threaded performance, so getting the i7 might actually be a downgrade unless you overclock it. Upgrading to a newer Intel chip would help, but Arma is a very badly optimized game that even people with current top of the line rigs can't get 60FPS solid on. For that particular game, you pretty much have to be okay with running at 30FPS a lot of the time.
The i7 of the same era will not change the gaming much. Most of these games are far more GPU dependent than CPU limited.

Best way to tell, is to first figure out what is bottlenecking you. See the link below.

http://www.davescomputertips.com/how-to-determine-gpu-vs-cpu-bottlenecks-and-possible-solutions/

The i7 would help for games that are CPU heavy and have good multithreading support, eg, Battlefield 4 or Crysis 3. Arma is not one of those games, it is CPU heavy but it relies heavily on single threaded performance, so getting the i7 might actually be a downgrade unless you overclock it. Upgrading to a newer Intel chip would help, but Arma is a very badly optimized game that even people with current top of the line rigs can't get 60FPS solid on. For that particular game, you pretty much have to be okay with running at 30FPS a lot of the time.

Solution

jactfreak

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
Ok, did a 2hour search on the net again...
And it seems like the cpu isnt the big issues her, its more the gtx650. So maybe upgrading to a gtx750ti wil help for now, and if its not the gpu thats the issue i can always use the card in the future.

jactfreak

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
thx for all the help, but im stuck at where i am!

cant find a beter GPU in my country! since gtx750ti are sold out and im not willing to pay $440 for a gtx760. also the i7-870 is secondhand and costs me $170. so not worth it!
and the i7-870 has low single thread performance.

THX AGAIN!